unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* How to use "setuid-program"?
@ 2021-09-03 18:24 Matthew Brooks
  2021-09-03 18:49 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2021-09-03 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

The old way of doing setuid programs:

(setuid-programs
  (cons
   #~(string-append #$slock "/bin/slock")
   %setuid-programs
   )
  )

now gives a deprecation warning as follows:
>warning: representing setuid programs with file-like objects is deprecated; use 'setuid-program' instead

The actual manual, however, still lists the old way as the way to do it. As such, I haven't been able to work out what sytax is actually expected for defining a setuid program with "setuid-program".

I assume that someone familiar with guile could probably check the definition of "setuid-program" or something to determine what it expects, but I have no idea how to do that either.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use "setuid-program"?
  2021-09-03 18:24 How to use "setuid-program"? Matthew Brooks
@ 2021-09-03 18:49 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  2021-09-03 20:16   ` Julien Lepiller
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-09-03 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brooks; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 254 bytes --]

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Brooks 写道:
> The actual manual, however, still lists the old way as the way 
> to do it.

No: 
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Setuid-Programs>. 
Which one are you consulting?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 247 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use "setuid-program"?
  2021-09-03 18:49 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
@ 2021-09-03 20:16   ` Julien Lepiller
  2021-09-17 16:28     ` Matthew Brooks
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-09-03 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Matthew Brooks

Instead of the cold reply, here's an explanation. The /manual corresponds to the stable manual (1.3), and /manual/devel to the current manual.

You will find the links on the website if you hover the help menu.

You can also use "info guix" locally to get the mamual matching the current guix you have.

Le 3 septembre 2021 14:49:48 GMT-04:00, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> a écrit :
>Hi Matthew,
>
>Matthew Brooks 写道:
>> The actual manual, however, still lists the old way as the way 
>> to do it.
>
>No: 
><https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Setuid-Programs>. 
>Which one are you consulting?
>
>Kind regards,
>
>T G-R

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use "setuid-program"?
  2021-09-03 20:16   ` Julien Lepiller
@ 2021-09-17 16:28     ` Matthew Brooks
  2021-09-17 16:47       ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2021-09-17 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks! I didn't realize there were two versions of the manual, and had been checking the stable one. The /devel one did have the new method, and it worked fine.

On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 16:16:27 -0400
Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Instead of the cold reply, here's an explanation. The /manual corresponds to the stable manual (1.3), and /manual/devel to the current manual.
> 
> You will find the links on the website if you hover the help menu.
> 
> You can also use "info guix" locally to get the mamual matching the current guix you have.
> 
> Le 3 septembre 2021 14:49:48 GMT-04:00, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> a écrit :
> >Hi Matthew,
> >
> >Matthew Brooks 写道:  
> >> The actual manual, however, still lists the old way as the way 
> >> to do it.  
> >
> >No: 
> ><https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Setuid-Programs>. 
> >Which one are you consulting?
> >
> >Kind regards,
> >
> >T G-R  



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: How to use "setuid-program"?
  2021-09-17 16:28     ` Matthew Brooks
@ 2021-09-17 16:47       ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-09-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brooks; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 661 bytes --]

Matthew Brooks 写道:
> Thanks! I didn't realize there were two versions of the manual, 
> and had been checking the stable one.

This state is extremely confusing and should be improved.  How did 
you search/browse to the ‘stable’ manual?

More generally: why did you end up loading a browser to look for 
the manual on the Web, instead of consulting the one on your Guix 
machine?  Were you aware of it?  Would you have seen a warning at 
the top of the page, or did you click straight through to a 
section/chapter?  Consider this low-budget telemetry to find out 
how better to point users to other options ;-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 247 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-09-17 17:01 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-09-03 18:24 How to use "setuid-program"? Matthew Brooks
2021-09-03 18:49 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
2021-09-03 20:16   ` Julien Lepiller
2021-09-17 16:28     ` Matthew Brooks
2021-09-17 16:47       ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).