unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* I express my gratitude
@ 2022-08-13 12:13 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-08-13 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2235 bytes --]

Hi Ludo and all Guixers,

> Personally I think we need to make Guix approachable to a wide audience,
> meaning not just developers—that goes beyond your target audience, let’s
> be ambitious!  I’d like to think that ‘guix install’, ‘guix shell’, and
> the likes have a rather low barrier to entry to someone who’s use the
> command line before, but I’ve also seen newcomers confused because
> “environment variables are hard” and get in the way.
>
> Are there any takeaways from your experience in terms of UX/UI
> improvements we could work on?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

I am very thankful that I can use Guix System as a non-developer but a
simple user of the GNU operating system.

I do not hesitate to ask basic questions, even under the level of
basics, not being ashamed of my little knowledge, but ready to learn
through the experience and knowledge of all Guixers.

So I want to point out my thankfulness that I can use "the GNU System",
through the very helpful Guixers, who take time to help.
I didn't experience any accusations/approaches/allegations.
So many Guixers were ready to help and came down to my low level of
knowledge.
With great patience they have carried me over the last 6 month.
There were no rude/unkind words or showing up my little knowledge but
always a helpful attitude visible.

This makes the Guixers a great community, an example for the world.
The attitude and relationship to people is even more important than all
our work we do, even if it's hard work.

This is the foundation for new people, who decide to try Guix.

The only problem that is still unsolved is
that I can't get my scanner work.

Even after installing "hplip" and through the help of Guixers
to add the necessary commands in my config.scm
it doesn't work.

"hplip" doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't open it and to choose a scanner.

Probably no Guixer has a HP printer/scanner all in one,
so nobody was able to help me.

I don't know if there is a bug in "hplip".
May be somebody can check the package.
Or any other problem that hplip doesn't appear in my MATE Desktop.

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: More HP AIO scanning woes [was: I express my gratitude]
@ 2022-08-13 13:38 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-08-13 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried!

Gottfried 写道:
> "hplip" doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't open it and to
> choose a scanner.

I probably can't fix your problem, but note that packages don't
necessarily install a command named after them, or an ‘icon’ (as
you mentioned in a previous mail).  Only a tiny fraction of all
packages do both.

There is no ‘hplip’ command or programme; don't wast time looking
for one.

The hplip package does provide several small tools, none of them
named hplip, of which two look relevant:

- hp-scan, which throws an error message here because I don't have
  a supported device;
- hp-uiscan, which also throws an error, but it's ~graphical~ (so
  it might be a better tool for you—if it works!)

There are many other hp-* commands that you can see by typing
‘hp-’<TAB> at a shell prompt.

However.

Expect a number of these tools not to work properly.  For example,
they might look for files in the wrong place or try to write to
the store, simply because they've never been tested.  It is quite
possible that you are the first to ever try using them with the
intended hardware.  You'll have to see, and report any errors you
get, and *perhaps* we can help fix them.

The joys of using a tiny distribution: sometimes you really are
the first person to try something :-)

> Probably no Guixer has a HP printer/scanner all in one,
> so nobody was able to help me.

Very possible.  I don't.

> Or any other problem that hplip doesn't appear in my MATE
> Desktop.

See above; I think you're expecting something to happen that
won't.  We'd need to add .desktop files for that to happen, but
that would require actually testing the tools to make sure they
are useful (IMO).

Maybe we should have ‘I own XXX hardware’ teams…

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: More HP AIO scanning woes
@ 2022-08-13 17:58   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-08-13 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2676 bytes --]

Hi T G-R,

for Your information:

Because I can't scan in Guix at the moment,
I had to install a second distro called "GNUinOS"

I installed also the MATE desktop and hplip and
you can see an icon of "HP"

Additionally there are icons in the programm menu

I made 4 fotos that you can see in case I klick on the icon hp,

Kind regards

Gottfried

Am 13.08.22 um 15:38 schrieb Tobias Geerinckx-Rice:
> Hi Gottfried!
>
> Gottfried 写道:
>> "hplip" doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't open it and to choose a
>> scanner.
>
> I probably can't fix your problem, but note that packages don't
> necessarily install a command named after them, or an ‘icon’ (as you
> mentioned in a previous mail).  Only a tiny fraction of all packages do
> both.
>
> There is no ‘hplip’ command or programme; don't wast time looking for one.
>
> The hplip package does provide several small tools, none of them named
> hplip, of which two look relevant:
>
> - hp-scan, which throws an error message here because I don't have  a
> supported device;
> - hp-uiscan, which also throws an error, but it's ~graphical~ (so  it
> might be a better tool for you—if it works!)
>
> There are many other hp-* commands that you can see by typing ‘hp-’<TAB>
> at a shell prompt.
>
> However.
>
> Expect a number of these tools not to work properly.  For example, they
> might look for files in the wrong place or try to write to the store,
> simply because they've never been tested.  It is quite possible that you
> are the first to ever try using them with the intended hardware.  You'll
> have to see, and report any errors you get, and *perhaps* we can help
> fix them.
>
> The joys of using a tiny distribution: sometimes you really are the
> first person to try something :-)
>
>> Probably no Guixer has a HP printer/scanner all in one,
>> so nobody was able to help me.
>
> Very possible.  I don't.
>
>> Or any other problem that hplip doesn't appear in my MATE Desktop.
>
> See above; I think you're expecting something to happen that won't.
> We'd need to add .desktop files for that to happen, but that would
> require actually testing the tools to make sure they are useful (IMO).
>
> Maybe we should have ‘I own XXX hardware’ teams…
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: HPLIP Toolbox in the Menu settings_german Einstellungen.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 231406 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: hp Device Manager - possible to choose to scan.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 111402 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.4: Scanning Programm in HP Printer Scanner.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 457693 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.5: hp icon.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 27678 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.6: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: More HP AIO scanning woes
@ 2022-08-14 12:28   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-08-14 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 6761 bytes --]

Hi T G-R,

after Your advice to check the hp-programms:

hp-align               hp-info                hp-scan
hp-check               hp-levels              hp-sendfax
hp-clean               hp-linefeedcal         hp-setup
hp-colorcal            hp-logcapture          hp-systray
hp-config_usb_printer  hp-makecopies          hp-testpage
hp-devicesettings      hp-makeuri             hp-timedate
hp-diagnose_plugin     hp-pkservice           hp-toolbox
hp-diagnose_queues     hp-pqdiag              hp-uiscan
hp-doctor              hp-print               hp-uninstall
hp-fab                 hp-printsettings       hp-unload
hp-faxsetup            hp-probe               hp-upgrade
hp-firmware            hp-query               hp-wificonfig

We are a step further:

In the program menu there appeared an icon: "HP Device Manager",
but klicking on it doesn't do anything.
So at least there is an icon.

if I do a

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ hp-diagnose_plugin

it says:

Driver Plug-in Installation is required
HP Device requires proprietary plug-in which is missing. Click "next" to
continue plug-in installation

if I press next it says:

sh: line 1: python: command not found
error: Failed to install Plug-in.
Either you have chosen to skip the Plug-in installation  or entered
incorrect Password.

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ sudo hp-logcapture
Passwort:
error: Failed to take back cups file=/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py",
line 89, in get_distro_name
     os_name = platform.dist()[0]
AttributeError: module 'platform' has no attribute 'dist'

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/bin/../share/hplip/logcapture.py",
line 268, in <module>
     if not is_journal():
   File
"/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/bin/../share/hplip/logcapture.py",
line 52, in is_journal
     core =  CoreInstall(MODE_INSTALLER, INTERACTIVE_MODE)
   File
"/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py",
line 241, in __init__
     self.passwordObj = password.Password(ui_mode)
   File
"/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py",
line 122, in __init__
     self.__readAuthType()  # self.__authType
   File
"/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py",
line 145, in __readAuthType
     distro_name = get_distro_name().lower().replace(" ","")
   File
"/gnu/store/csbrf3740w69nsjl2pqdbgf1rpq3gs48-hplip-3.21.10/share/hplip/base/password.py",
line 91, in get_distro_name
     import distro
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distro'

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ hp-probe

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.10)
Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Using connection type: usb

--------------------
| DEVICE DISCOVERY |
--------------------

warning: No devices found on the 'usb' bus. If this isn't the result you
are expecting,
warning: check to make sure your devices are properly connected and
powered on.

Done.

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ hp-scan

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.10)
Scan Utility ver. 2.2

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Even though the printer is installed and I can print,
it says again and again that there is no printer and the bus / usb is
not connected.

If somebody wants to deal with it and takes time for it,
than I appreciate this.

@ 2022-08-14 12:33     ` (
From: ( @ 2022-08-14 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

On Sun Aug 14, 2022 at 1:28 PM BST, Gottfried wrote:
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ hp-diagnose_plugin
>
> it says:
>
> Driver Plug-in Installation is required
> HP Device requires proprietary plug-in which is missing. Click "next" to
> continue plug-in installation
>
> if I press next it says:
>
> sh: line 1: python: command not found
> error: Failed to install Plug-in.
> Either you have chosen to skip the Plug-in installation  or entered
> incorrect Password.

That's pretty concerning; it's trying to install a proprietary plugin. We
should strip that part out of the Guix hplip package.

    -- (