unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Suspend of GuixSD system every ~30 seconds
@ 2017-07-27 23:41 Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2017-07-27 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello help-guix,

I recently acquired a Lenovo T400 laptop with libreboot installed from
minifree.org.
Of course,  I wanted to get GuixSD on there as quickly as possible and got
to work.

I am using GuixSD by installing with the --no-bootload flag, and copying
the generated grub.cfg to /boot/grub/libreboot_grub.cfg (which allows the
grub-in-libreboot to find my grub config and subsquently boot into GuixSD).

I started out with the bare-bones OS config, which worked perfectly.
Then I started playing around with a very straight-forward gnome config
(see attached config.scm).

About every 30 seconds (could be 29~32), my laptop goes into suspend mode!
This means that the screen turns black, the backlight is turned off and as
far as I can tell, the fan is also not making any noise. I have to press
the physical power button to get the system to do anything afterwards.
I am prepared to sacrifice *some* convenience for running only libre
software, but this might be a bit much ;-).

Within one of these 30 second windows, I quickly issued a `sudo chmod 444
/sys/state/power', and this actually made the laptop slightly usable
because it stopped suspending every 30 seconds.

Yet, anytime I use any <sudo ...> command, the screen shuts off for about 2
seconds.

Looking at tty1, for each of these <sudo ...> instances I can indeed see
that *something* tried to write to /sys/state/power, but my earlier chmod
prevented that from happening.

I am currently quite out of my depth, but my gut is telling me this has
something to do with elogind. Because gut feelings are not worth much, I
also attached a compressed copy of the output of the `dmesg' command.

I currently do not know how to solve this, but would love to run GuixSD on
my minifree T400.

Thanks,
- Jelle

p.s. Apologies for the big attachments, I did not know of any other way of
getting this information to the ML.