Thanks! That's really helpful! How robust is your system to bandwidth fluctuations and network hiccups? How big is your store, /gnu, /var/guix? How many users do you have? Etienne On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 6:32 AM Efraim Flashner wrote: > On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 05:32:07PM +0000, Etienne B. Roesch wrote: > > Hi, > > > > I have been successful in convincing our IT dept to provide guix as > > standard on our vms and research clusters. We use this sophisticated > > platform that allows users to spawn a vm at will, and also use this > shared > > ldap user database to allow for people to log on from computers/terminals > > spread on campus. Home directories are basically pulled from the OS > (mostly > > ubuntu and centos) as a shared file system on the network, which then > > synchronises changes live. Practically, that means a user will find its > > desktop, preferences and files as they move to different computers. > > > > Theoretically, a user can connect to several computers at the same time, > > which can lead to conflict issues at times, e.g. firefox doesn't like > > parallel access to its preferences. I haven't fully tested it, but we > think > > that a guix profile is specific to a given computer, because of the way > it > > links to the store, which is (currently) local to the vm, which isn't > > ideal: the whole point of using vms is for users to kill them when they > > don't need them. > > > > What would be the recommended way of solving this? Has anybody had a > > similar situation? > > I am thinking we could either: > > - leave it as is, and train users to recreate their profiles whenever > they > > use a new vm/computer (after all, that's what guix is for) but it could > > take some time to recompile if binaries aren't available > > - maybe turn /gnu/store as a shared nfs folder > > CCing guix-science > > One thing we do on the small cluster at UTenn is /gnu and /var/guix (in > addition to the home directories) are exported across NFS and then any > profiles that are installed in the users' home directories have their > symlinks not dangling. > > I also have a snippet in my .profile to use GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET to ssh > back to the head node to use the guix-daemon there, which keeps all the > guix stuff on one machine and easier to manage and make sure the same > software is available on all the machines. > > -- > Efraim Flashner רנשלפ םירפא > GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 > Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted >