unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* installing and searching from custom channel
@ 2020-04-22  6:23 Anthony Quizon
From: Anthony Quizon @ 2020-04-22  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm trying to experiment with my own channel packages.

Here is my current channel code:
https://github.com/anthonyquizon/guix-channel

The docs in https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Channels.html mentions
that if I have packages in a subdirectory, I need to specify its location
in .guix-channel.

However, doing this, 'guix pull' does not work and giving me an error:

*|builder for
`/gnu/store/04xj2y92320w5jd2rs3kqcdd4wxg0w78-anthonyquizon-packages.drv'
failed to produce output path
`/gnu/store/ky6097zcynxvwdkmgk5vw7p2qrqwyby8-anthonyquizon-packages'

               build of
/gnu/store/04xj2y92320w5jd2rs3kqcdd4wxg0w78-anthonyquizon-packages.drv
failed         *

(I've renamed .guix-channel to _guix-channel for now)

I tried to add a package in the root folder and was not able to search or
install it via "guix search hello-foo" and "guix install hello-foo" after a
"guix pull".

The package builds fine with "guix build -L . anthony-hello".

Is there something I'm missing?

* Re: installing and searching from custom channel
@ 2020-04-22 13:29 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-04-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Anthony Quizon

Le 22 avril 2020 02:23:56 GMT-04:00, Anthony Quizon <anthoq88@gmail.com> a écrit :
>I'm trying to experiment with my own channel packages.
>
>Here is my current channel code:
>https://github.com/anthonyquizon/guix-channel
>
>The docs in https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Channels.html
>mentions
>that if I have packages in a subdirectory, I need to specify its
>location
>in .guix-channel.
>
>However, doing this, 'guix pull' does not work and giving me an error:
>

>*|builder for
>`/gnu/store/04xj2y92320w5jd2rs3kqcdd4wxg0w78-anthonyquizon-packages.drv'
>failed to produce output path
>`/gnu/store/ky6097zcynxvwdkmgk5vw7p2qrqwyby8-anthonyquizon-packages'
>
>               build of
>/gnu/store/04xj2y92320w5jd2rs3kqcdd4wxg0w78-anthonyquizon-packages.drv
>failed         *
>
>(I've renamed .guix-channel to _guix-channel for now)
>
>I tried to add a package in the root folder and was not able to search
>or
>install it via "guix search hello-foo" and "guix install hello-foo"
>after a
>"guix pull".
>
>The package builds fine with "guix build -L . anthony-hello".
>
>Is there something I'm missing?

In your case you don't need a .guix-channel because your package modules are named correctly:

In a/b/c.scm is module (a b c), no need for a .guix-channel

If in a/b/c.scm is module (b c), you'll need to specify a as thc subdirectory where modules are located. Does it make sense?

* Re: installing and searching from custom channel
@ 2020-04-23  1:11   ` Anthony Quizon
From: Anthony Quizon @ 2020-04-23  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

> In your case you don't need a .guix-channel because your package modules
are named correctly:

Ah good to know thanks.

RE: "guix search hello-foo" and "guix install hello-foo" not working for
me, this turned out to be an issue with my PATH variable. So its working
now.

Thanks,
Anthony