unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Issue about building python on a foreign distro
@ 2021-08-22 11:27 Wade Zhang
From: Wade Zhang @ 2021-08-22 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all,

Recently I installed Guix on a Debian buster host.  I want to install all build
dependencies by Guix.  Since I use pyenv to manage Python versions, I have to
install Python outside Guix.  Now I get stuck during the Python installation.

I install dependencies by the following command:

```
guix install glibc gcc-toolchain make pkg-config libffi zlib bzip2
readline openssl sqlite xz xmlsec libxml2
```

# With ccache

At first I install ccache to speed up the building:

```
guix install ccache
```

When I run `pyenv install 3.8.11`, I got the following error:

```
checking for getaddrinfo... yes
checking getaddrinfo bug... yes
Fatal: You must get working getaddrinfo() function.
       or you can specify "--disable-ipv6".
```

I can build Python with packages installed by apt, so I think it's not an ipv6
problem.  I also tried to `apt-get install nscd` but the building still failed.

# Without ccache

Then I uninstall ccache and run `pyenv install 3.8.11`, I got another error:

```
*** WARNING: renaming "_ctypes" since importing it failed:
build/lib.linux-x86_64-3.8/_ctypes.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so:
undefined symbol: ffi_prep_cif

Python build finished successfully!
The necessary bits to build these optional modules were not found:
_bz2                  _curses               _curses_panel
_dbm                  _gdbm                 _lzma
_sqlite3              _tkinter              readline
zlib
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for
the module's name.

The following modules found by detect_modules() in setup.py, have been
built by the Makefile instead, as configured by the Setup files:
_abc                  atexit                pwd
time

Failed to build these modules:
_uuid                 nis

Following modules built successfully but were removed because they
could not be imported:
_ctypes
```

It seems all dependencies installed by Guix are not found.

I'm new to Guix, I have searched these message but can't find the solution.

Could you please tell me the reason of these errors and how to fix them?

Best Regards,

Wade Zhang