unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix shell: error: mount: Invalid argument
@ 2022-11-19 11:15 bbb ee
From: bbb ee @ 2022-11-19 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

The example in the documentation(
https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-shell.html#Invoking-guix-shell)
for guix shell --share fails:

```
$ guix shell --container --expose=$HOME=/exchange guile -- guile
guix shell: error: mount: mount "/home/dev_1" on
"/tmp/guix-directory.X5HsZw//exchange": Invalid argument
```

I feel guix shell --container can only mount subdir in /tmp, and fail for
all other dir:
```
# success in subdir of  /tmp
dev_1@dev_1 /tmp/test$ guix shell --container coreutils
dev_1@dev_1 /tmp/test [env]$ exit

# fail for all other dir
dev_1@dev_1 ~$ guix shell --container coreutils
guix shell: error: mount: mount "/home/dev_1" on
"/tmp/guix-directory.63aHz8//home/dev_1": Invalid argument

dev_1@dev_1 /mnt$ guix shell --container coreutils
guix shell: error: mount: mount "/mnt" on
"/tmp/guix-directory.Zu897m//mnt": Invalid argument

```

* Re: guix shell: error: mount: Invalid argument
@ 2022-11-19 11:23 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-11-19 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bbb ee; +Cc: help-guix

Hi bbb,

bbb ee 写道:
> I feel guix shell --container can only mount subdir in /tmp, and
> fail for
> all other dir:

Your example for ‘all other dir’ just tests /home/dev_1 again,
which looks extremely much like a mount point.  So does /mnt.  So
no mystery there, but I do wonder what's *special* about these
mountpoints compared to others.

What is mounted at /home/dev_1 and (presumably) /mnt on your
system?  Anything mounted at /home?  Anything mounted *below*
/mnt/*?

On my system:

~ λ mountpoint /tmp
/tmp is a mountpoint

~ λ guix shell -C --expose=/tmp=/test coreutils -- echo Elmo world
Elmo world

~ λ guix shell -C --expose=/proc=/test coreutils -- echo Elmo
world
guix shell: error: mount: mount "/proc" on
"/tmp/guix-directory.zTa1qb//test": Invalid argument

Weird!  Clearly, /proc is imbued with magical Kernel magick and
simply canno— what?  Oh:

~ λ mount | grep /proc
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,relatime)

Surely not…

~ λ sudo umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

~ λ guix shell -C --expose=/proc=/test coreutils -- echo Elmo
world
Elmo world

…huh.

So, ‘guix shell --container’ apparently takes issue with rbind'ing
mounts, or something like that.

Maybe that's something Guix can handle by bind-mounting the entire
subtree itself, or maybe it's a hard permissions error enforced by
the kernel.  I don't know.

Someone with podman/Docker/similar experience might.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix shell: error: mount: Invalid argument
@ 2022-11-19 19:17   ` bbb ee
From: bbb ee @ 2022-11-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

/tmp, /, $HOME are in same partition. But only subdir of /tmp are mountable:
```
dev_1@dev_1 /tmp/test2$ df .
Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p7 209921236 180793652  19663932  91% /
dev_1@dev_1 /tmp/test2$ guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo
Elmo
dev_1@dev_1 /tmp/test2$ cd /tmp/
dev_1@dev_1 /tmp$ df .
Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p7 209921236 180793720  19663864  91% /
dev_1@dev_1 /tmp$ guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo
Elmo

dev_1@dev_1 /tmp$ cd /
dev_1@dev_1 /$ df .
Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p7 209921236 180793808  19663776  91% /
dev_1@dev_1 /$ guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo
guix shell: error: mount: mount "/" on "/tmp/guix-directory.fKcwvT//":
Invalid argument

dev_1@dev_1 /mnt/recoverData$ cd ~
dev_1@dev_1 ~$ df .
Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p7 209921236 180793732  19663852  91% /
dev_1@dev_1 ~$ guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo
guix shell: error: mount: mount "/home/dev_1" on
"/tmp/guix-directory.LUuYdU//home/dev_1": Invalid argument
```

Other partition is also no mountable:
```
dev_1@dev_1 /mnt$ cd recoverData/
dev_1@dev_1 /mnt/recoverData$ df .
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p8 122503676 91394804  25287412  79% /mnt/recoverData
dev_1@dev_1 /mnt/recoverData$ guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo
guix shell: error: mount: mount "/mnt/recoverData" on
"/tmp/guix-directory.ut68VE//mnt/recoverData": Invalid argument
```

I don't think it is a partition issue.

@ 2022-11-19 19:21     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-11-19 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bbb ee; +Cc: help-guix

So /home/dev_1 (not $HOME; see error message) is not a mount point?  OK, the name to me implied it was.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: guix shell: error: mount: Invalid argument
@ 2022-11-19 19:27       ` bbb ee
From: bbb ee @ 2022-11-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

> So /home/dev_1 (not $HOME; see error message)

$HOME is /home/dev_1 in my system. Sorry, I have written $HOME, it is a
little confusing, but it is same thing.

No, my home dir isn't a mount point.

@ 2022-11-19 19:46         ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-11-19 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bbb ee; +Cc: help-guix

bbb ee 写道:
>> So /home/dev_1 (not $HOME; see error message)

No, I was confused as well, sorry.

In the back of my mind was another user reporting they used some
FUSE-based encryption of $HOME, and I thought you might be using
that.  This tainted my thinking.

I have no other idea what could be happening.  What I ‘reproduced’
in my previous mail is probably not what is happening to you, even
if the error messages are the same.

But it is definitely something related to your installation:

> guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo

should, of course, always work.

Does this system have ‘uncommon’ kernel restrictions in place,
like SELinux or other hardening?  Is there anything printed in
dmesg when the container fails to start?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix shell: error: mount: Invalid argument
@ 2022-11-19 20:18           ` bbb ee
From: bbb ee @ 2022-11-19 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

> Does this system have ‘uncommon’ kernel restrictions in place,
like SELinux or other hardening?

No, I have never used this feature.

> Is there anything printed in dmesg when the container fails to start?

No changement in dmesg

@ 2022-11-19 20:19           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-11-19 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bbb ee, help-guix

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice 写道:
> Does this system have ‘uncommon’ kernel restrictions in place,
> like
> SELinux or other hardening?  Is there anything printed in dmesg
> when
> the container fails to start?

I forgot: which distribution is this?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix shell: error: mount: Invalid argument
@ 2022-11-19 20:20             ` bbb ee
From: bbb ee @ 2022-11-19 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

> I forgot: which distribution is this?

I use GuixSD, and the kernel
```
$ uname -a
Linux dev_1 5.18.18 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC 1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
```

@ 2022-11-20  0:29   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-11-20  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: bbb ee, help-guix

Hi,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

[...]

> ~ λ guix shell -C --expose=/proc=/test coreutils -- echo Elmo
> world
> guix shell: error: mount: mount "/proc" on
> "/tmp/guix-directory.zTa1qb//test": Invalid argument
>

> Weird!  Clearly, /proc is imbued with magical Kernel magick and
> simply canno— what?  Oh:
>
> ~ λ mount | grep /proc
> none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
> binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
> (rw,relatime)
>

> Surely not…
>
> ~ λ sudo umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
>
> ~ λ guix shell -C --expose=/proc=/test coreutils -- echo Elmo
> world
> Elmo world
>
> …huh.
>
> So, ‘guix shell --container’ apparently takes issue with rbind'ing
> mounts, or something like that.
>
> Maybe that's something Guix can handle by bind-mounting the entire
> subtree itself, or maybe it's a hard permissions error enforced by
> the kernel.  I don't know.
>
> Someone with podman/Docker/similar experience might.

I'm not useful, but just want to point out that this looks a lot like
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/46782 (guix environment --expose options
cannot be layered onto $PWD).

Maxim

* Re: guix shell: error: mount: Invalid argument
@ 2022-11-20  9:32     ` bbb ee
From: bbb ee @ 2022-11-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

I have posted in the help mailing list, because I want to be sure that the
command doesn't run is not because of bad usage from me. Apparently, my
usage is correct, it is from my environment.

I will also post a bug report. But the difficulty to get help for this
problem is to provide a reproducible test. I have tried to reproduce this
issue in a guix container
```
dev_1@dev_1 /mnt/recoverData$ guix shell --no-cwd --network --container guix
dev_1@dev_1 ~ [env]$ guix-daemon &
dev_1@dev_1 ~ [env]$ guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo
accepted connection from pid 3, user dev_1
substitute: guix substitute: warning: ACL for archive imports seems to be
uninitialized, substitutes may be unavailable
..
```
The issue with my reproducible test is that the guix in guix container
doesn't find any substitute, so it will compile all package, which will
take time.

@ 2022-11-21 22:45       ` bbb ee
From: bbb ee @ 2022-11-21 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

I have submitted a bug report : https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/59425.
Tobias is right, some of my tests fail because the current path is a
mountpoint, but other tests fail because some paths of the host system
can't be mounted.

`guix shell --container coreutils -- echo Elmo` is runnable for me if I
avoid this two condition above