unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* build broken packages handling
@ 2021-03-29 20:02 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2021-03-29 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Two questions:

1.  When submitting an updated package definition, is there an easy
way to check if other packages may be broken by this update?   Right
now it is easy to check if a package builds with updated package
definition; but it is not easy to see if committing it will break
others.

2. If a package is not building in guix, should a bug be filed against
it?  Ot there is a way, a CI web interface or something that shows all
existing packages whose builds are broken?

Thanks

--
Andy Tai, atai@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat: andytai1010
Year 2021 民國110年

* Re: build broken packages handling
@ 2021-03-30  2:45 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-03-30  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Andy Tai

Hi Andy,

Answers below.

Le 29 mars 2021 16:02:37 GMT-04:00, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> a écrit :
>Two questions:
>
>1.  When submitting an updated package definition, is there an easy
>way to check if other packages may be broken by this update?   Right
>now it is easy to check if a package builds with updated package
>definition; but it is not easy to see if committing it will break
>others.

I can't check right now, but I think the contributing section in the manual describes this. You might want to have a look :)

To list leaf packages that are affected by a change (and the number of packages affected, including non-leaf), you can use guix refresh:

guix refresh -l foo

Will tell you which leaf packages are affected if you modify foo. Build them all if the number is low. If the number of dependents is high enough to qualify for staging or core-updates, then checking only some of them is ok.

>2. If a package is not building in guix, should a bug be filed against
>it?  Ot there is a way, a CI web interface or something that shows all
>existing packages whose builds are broken?

Yes, if the package is important to you, please file a bug report with details about the failing build, to bug-guix. Don't bother upstream :)

We have ci.guix.gnu.org, which is our build farm. You can use the search box to look for failing builds.

If you manage to fix some of them, definitely send a patch!