unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* (gnutls) missing interface for module
@ 2016-08-05 23:43 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-08-05 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-guix

all of a sudden, master gives me this error

;;; Failed to autoload make-session in (gnutls):]...
;;; ERROR: missing interface for module (gnutls)

than a backtrace comes and I can't lint a package (gnunet-svn)

* Re: (gnutls) missing interface for module
@ 2016-08-06  3:23 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-08-06  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-guix

> all of a sudden, master gives me this error
>
> ;;; Failed to autoload make-session in (gnutls):]...
> ;;; ERROR: missing interface for module (gnutls)
>
> than a backtrace comes and I can't lint a package (gnunet-svn)

This is the error after the stacktrace

guix/scripts/lint.scm:376:16: In procedure validate-uri:
guix/scripts/lint.scm:376:16: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable:
make-session

* Re: (gnutls) missing interface for module
@ 2016-08-07  3:07   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-08-07  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 05:23:49AM +0200, Catonano wrote:

> > all of a sudden, master gives me this error
> >
> > ;;; Failed to autoload make-session in (gnutls):]...
> > ;;; ERROR: missing interface for module (gnutls)
> >
> > than a backtrace comes and I can't lint a package (gnunet-svn)
>
> This is the error after the stacktrace
>
> guix/scripts/lint.scm:376:16: In procedure validate-uri:
> guix/scripts/lint.scm:376:16: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable:
> make-session

What Git commit does this happen on? Can you share the exact sequence of
commands that cause the error?

* Re: (gnutls) missing interface for module
@ 2016-08-07  3:45     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-08-07  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

> On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 05:23:49AM +0200, Catonano wrote:
> >
> > > all of a sudden, master gives me this error
> > >
> > > ;;; Failed to autoload make-session in (gnutls):]...
> > > ;;; ERROR: missing interface for module (gnutls)
> > >
> > > than a backtrace comes and I can't lint a package (gnunet-svn)
> >
> > This is the error after the stacktrace
> >
> > guix/scripts/lint.scm:376:16: In procedure validate-uri:
> > guix/scripts/lint.scm:376:16: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound
> variable:
> > make-session
>
> What Git commit does this happen on? Can you share the exact sequence of
> commands that cause the error?

Leo, thank you so much for your concern, I should have clarified this
earlier

I found the solution

If I try to lint a package INSIDE an environment made with "guix
environment guix" this doesn't happen and the linting succeeds

I thought that "pre-inst-env" was setting things so that the right Guile
was automagically being called even outside of an environment. I was wrong.

I was confused because I had a Fedora Guile that I didn't remember about so
that one got called when outside of an environment and I wasn't realizing
that. I thought it was the right one that was being called

So A Fedora Guile was used to dlopen a Guix gnutls and that's a mix with a
bad karma; Ludo explained that in this post
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2016-06/msg00069.html
(thanks to Jlicht for this link)

When I removed it, no Guile could be found when outside of an environment
so that made me realize the mistake that I had been doing until then.

* Re: (gnutls) missing interface for module
@ 2016-08-08 21:23       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-08-08 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 05:45:38AM +0200, Catonano wrote:
> I found the solution
>
> If I try to lint a package INSIDE an environment made with "guix
> environment guix" this doesn't happen and the linting succeeds
>
> I thought that "pre-inst-env" was setting things so that the right Guile
> was automagically being called even outside of an environment. I was wrong.

I have the same experience while linting on Debian. I don't know if it
should be considered a bug or not.