2016-08-05 12:09 GMT+02:00 Ricardo Wurmus : > > Vincent Legoll writes: > > > Hello > > > >>> I attempted to apply the patch onto a fresh Guix master and the patch > does > >>> not apply, I don't know why > > > > When I fail to apply a patch that's often because of a wrong -p > parameter. > > Try with "--dry-run -p0" or "--dry-run -p1" to find the good one. You > can also > > look at file paths in the patch and deduce the right path strip level. > > I haven’t used “patch” in quite a while because usually “git am > the-patch-file” just works. If the patch was created with “git > format-patch” against master you shouldn’t have any problems using “git > am” on it. > > ~~ Ricardo > > > Thank you all people for your help. I appreciate that. Yes, Ricardo, you nailed it I had attempted with git apply --check path/to/the.patch because I read that it is a good idea to verify the applicability of a patch before actually applying it Then I tried with a simple git am path/to/the.patch and it worked like a breeze I looked at the log and there's the commit of the patch on top of f467c35261 I had wrongly assumed that "git apply --check.." and "git am..." would have envisioned the same process So what's the use case for "git apply --check.." ? Bah... Thanks again