Dear Gábor, Thank you for your comments. > What I did was to set up things in .xsessionrc. There is a drawback, though, and > it is that this startup file uses /bin/sh, which is most probably > dash, so I had to > adjust the recommendation of sourcing the profile. I also got some indications > that the generated file I sourced might assume that the used shell is bash. Yes, Debian uses dash as /bin/sh since a couple of release, I guess. > > The way that I use is to add an `else' clause to the $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT test: > > > > if [ -n "$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT" ] > > then > > export PS1="\u@\h \w [dev]\$ " > > else > > source ~/.bash_profile > > fi > > > > Is it correct and the right way to do? > > If yes, does the manual need improvement in this section (footnote)? > > > > I believe it should be improved. There might also be some other distro specific > chevats. There was also a discussion about reducing bashism in the generated > files, but I don't remember if a conclusion was reached. From my point of view the topic is about the interactive shell that it is used and the fix should not depend so much on the host distro. I imagine. :-) Maybe I do not understand a point, but the trick explained in the footnote of the manual is not accurate. Or I am wrong and I am asking more explanations. :-) Well, in X session, when an user opens a terminal, the shell is more often a non-login interactive shell than a login interactive shell if it is. Therefore, the file .bash_profile or .profile are not sourced when a terminal is open on X session. From my point of view, the simplest fix is at the shell configuration level, I guess. For bash, source a file containing all the exports when not in $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT or something in the spirit is enough, isn't it? For zsh or other, it depends on how the configuration is sourced; I do not know. What do you think? Or where is wrong? Thank you in advance for any comments. All the best, simon