unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix environment ad-hoc manifests
@ 2020-10-22  9:09 Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2020-10-22  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

working with guix environments, we can pass list of packages, using a
manifest file. we also can use --ad-hoc switch for additional packages
we need to add to the prepared environment.

it would also be great to be able to pass list of ad-hoc packages,
using a manifest file, something like --ad-hoc-manifest switch. or
maybe there is such option already available that I missed.

Regards,
Reza

--
Reza Alizadeh Majd
PantherX Team

* Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
@ 2020-10-22 11:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-10-22 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd; +Cc: help-guix

Reza Alizadeh Majd <r.majd@pantherx.org> writes:

> it would also be great to be able to pass list of ad-hoc packages,
> using a manifest file, something like --ad-hoc-manifest switch. or
> maybe there is such option already available that I missed.

What would that look like?  Just a file containing package names?

--
Ricardo

* Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
@ 2020-10-22 13:08   ` Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2020-10-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 13:53:10 +0200
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Reza Alizadeh Majd <r.majd@pantherx.org> writes:
>
> > it would also be great to be able to pass list of ad-hoc packages,
> > using a manifest file, something like --ad-hoc-manifest switch. or
> > maybe there is such option already available that I missed.
>
> What would that look like?  Just a file containing package names?

yes, a possible use-case would be to provide a development
environment for a software which is not packaged yet. during
development phase, we could easily update this manifest file and
include third-parties we need to use.

--

@ 2020-10-22 15:16     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-10-22 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd; +Cc: help-guix

Reza Alizadeh Majd <r.majd@pantherx.org> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 13:53:10 +0200
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>> Reza Alizadeh Majd <r.majd@pantherx.org> writes:
>>
>> > it would also be great to be able to pass list of ad-hoc packages,
>> > using a manifest file, something like --ad-hoc-manifest switch. or
>> > maybe there is such option already available that I missed.
>>
>> What would that look like?  Just a file containing package names?
>>

> yes, a possible use-case would be to provide a development
> environment for a software which is not packaged yet. during
> development phase, we could easily update this manifest file and
> include third-parties we need to use.

But isn’t this exactly what you can use a manifest file for already?
“guix environment” not only accepts a file that describes a package, but
also a manifest.

--
Ricardo

* Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
@ 2020-10-22 16:22 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-22 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd; +Cc: help-guix

Dear,

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 11:10, Reza Alizadeh Majd <r.majd@pantherx.org> wrote:

> working with guix environments, we can pass list of packages, using a
> manifest file. we also can use --ad-hoc switch for additional packages
> we need to add to the prepared environment.
>
> it would also be great to be able to pass list of ad-hoc packages,
> using a manifest file, something like --ad-hoc-manifest switch. or
> maybe there is such option already available that I missed.

From my understanding, as Ricardo said, the command:

   guix environment -m my-manifest.scm

is equivalent to:

  guix environment --ad-hoc pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

And moreover, you can also do:

  guix environment -m my-manifest.scm --ad-hoc my-package

What could be missing is to pass a manifest file and provide all the
required packages used to build all the packages listed in the
manifest.  Other said, there is no equivalent at the manifest level
of:

  guix environment pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

or even this:

   guix environment pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 --ad-hoc pkg4 pkg5 pkg6

To be clear, it is possible but the API is not straightforward.

Is it what you mean?

Hope that helps,
simon

* Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
       [not found] <mailman.85.1603382448.9180.help-guix@gnu.org>
@ 2020-10-22 20:05 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-10-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 10/22/20 6:00 PM, help-guix-request@gnu.org wrote:
> Reza Alizadeh Majd <r.majd@pantherx.org> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 13:53:10 +0200
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

>>> What would that look like?  Just a file containing package names?
>>>
>> yes, a possible use-case would be to provide a development
>> environment for a software which is not packaged yet. during
>> development phase, we could easily update this manifest file and
>> include third-parties we need to use.
> But isn’t this exactly what you can use a manifest file for already?
> “guix environment” not only accepts a file that describes a package, but
> also a manifest.
Or perhaps a solution could be to simply allow multiple --manifest
files, so that one could oneself distinguish between them via file name,
but Guix uses them as if their content was merged in one file instead?

* Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
@ 2020-10-22 20:17   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-22 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

Dear,

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 22:05, Zelphir Kaltstahl
<zelphirkaltstahl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or perhaps a solution could be to simply allow multiple --manifest
> files, so that one could oneself distinguish between them via file name,
> but Guix uses them as if their content was merged in one file instead?

It is already the case.  Try:

   guix environment -C -m manifest-1.scm -m manifest-2.scm

and the packages listed in both files manifest-1.scm and
manifest-2.scm are present in the environment profiles.

All the best,
simn

* Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
@ 2020-10-24  7:35       ` Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2020-10-24  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:16:21 +0200
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> > yes, a possible use-case would be to provide a development
> > environment for a software which is not packaged yet. during
> > development phase, we could easily update this manifest file and
> > include third-parties we need to use.
>
> But isn’t this exactly what you can use a manifest file for already?
> “guix environment” not only accepts a file that describes a package,
> but also a manifest.

Thank you for your response, there is just a point that I don't
understand.

- when we add a package to environment, all of package inputs will be
added to the environment.
- using --ad-hoc switch, package itself will be present in environment.

now I want to know add a series of packages using --manifest, add them
directly to the environment (like --ad-hoc), or add inputs for each
package to environment?

Thanks
Reza

--

@ 2020-10-24  7:52   ` Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2020-10-24  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Dear Simon,

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 18:22:46 +0200
zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> From my understanding, as Ricardo said, the command:
>
>    guix environment -m my-manifest.scm
>
> is equivalent to:
>
>   guix environment --ad-hoc pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

Thanks for your response. yes this is exactly what I was looking for.

just from the "Guix Environment" document:

> Create an environment for the packages contained in the manifest
> object returned by the Scheme code in file.

I assumed that manifest packages, would be acted like:

  guix environment pkg1 pkg2

which it seems that I was wrong.

Thanks
Reza