Rather than trying the following, I thought, "Why not ask first?" Due to the sizes of various hard disks in my machine, I want to move /gnu to /directoryondifferentdisk/gnu and then do mount --bind /directoryondifferentdisk/gnu /gnu (I have already formed a superstition that ln -s /directoryondifferentdisk/gnu /gnu won't work) I see a vast collection of hard links in /gnu/store/.links... I forsee problems when copying /gnu, not reproducing hard links but reproducing the data. Are my fears founded? How to proceed? Or better to start over with new installation of gnux and /gnu?