unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* gnome shell crashes after ~1m
@ 2022-07-13  9:28 Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2022-07-13  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dear mailing list,

after 5 months without updating my system (I know!), I just ran guix
pull and reconfigured my system with the latest gnome desktop.
Unfortunately, when I start this latest system generation, gnome
shell crashes after about 1 minute (I get the “oops, something went
wrong” grey screen of death).

Looking in the logs (/var/log/messages and ~/.cache/gdm/session.log),
I find the messages involving
org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.UsbProtection.desktop that coincide with the
moment of the crash.  Here are the messages from session.log:

** (gsd-usb-protection:1051): WARNING **: 11:15:06.587: Failed to
connect to the screen saver: Error calling StartServiceByName for
org.gnome.ScreenSaver: Timeout was reached
gnome-session-binary[842]: WARNING: Application
'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.UsbProtection.desktop' killed by signal 11

** (gsd-power:1063): WARNING **: 11:15:06.855: Failed to connect to
the screen saver: Error calling StartServiceByName for
org.gnome.ScreenSaver: Timeout was reached

(gsd-power:1063): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:15:06.855: invalid
(NULL) pointer instance

(gsd-power:1063): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:15:06.855:
g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)'
failed

** (gsd-usb-protection:1443): WARNING **: 11:15:31.652: Failed to
connect to the screen saver: Error calling StartServiceByName for
org.gnome.ScreenSaver: Timeout was reached
gnome-session-binary[842]: WARNING: Application
'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.UsbProtection.desktop' killed by signal 11
gnome-session-binary[842]: WARNING: App
'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.UsbProtection.desktop' respawning too
quickly

Any suggestions for solutions or workarounds?  Has anybody else
experienced this behaviour?  Due to the long time between updates
(previous generation was from February), it might not be obvious to
track the change that causes this error (likely a new gnome desktop
version I suppose...).

sincerely,

Thomas

* Re: gnome shell crashes after ~1m
@ 2022-07-13 10:29 ` paren--- via
From: paren--- via @ 2022-07-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Thomas Danckaert

You have any GNOME extensions installed? I think they can cause such crashes. Try switching to a TTY, uninstalling them all, and logging in again.

* Re: gnome shell crashes after ~1m
@ 2022-07-13 12:41   ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2022-07-13 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paren; +Cc: help-guix

From: "(" <paren@disroot.org>
Subject: Re: gnome shell crashes after ~1m
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 12:29:12 +0200

> You have any GNOME extensions installed? I think they can cause
> such crashes.
> Try switching to a TTY, uninstalling them all, and logging in again.

No I don't (not that I'm aware of at least).  There is no
'extensions' directory in  ~/.local/share/gnome-shell.  And if look
at Settings > Extensions, there's nothing there either.

@ 2022-07-13 12:48 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-07-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Thomas,

On Wednesday, July 13th, 2022 at 09:28, Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> wrote:

> Dear mailing list,
>

> after 5 months without updating my system (I know!), I just ran guix
> pull and reconfigured my system with the latest gnome desktop.
> Unfortunately, when I start this latest system generation, gnome
> shell crashes after about 1 minute (I get the “oops, something went
> wrong” grey screen of death).

This has happened to me several times when I upgrade the system but not my user profile. Upgrading my profile and rebooting has solved the problem for me in the past.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: gnome shell crashes after ~1m
@ 2022-07-14  9:28   ` Daniel Meißner
From: Daniel Meißner @ 2022-07-14  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: Thomas Danckaert, help-guix

Hi all,

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hi Thomas,
>

> On Wednesday, July 13th, 2022 at 09:28, Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> wrote:
>

>> Dear mailing list,
>>

>> after 5 months without updating my system (I know!), I just ran guix
>> pull and reconfigured my system with the latest gnome desktop.
>> Unfortunately, when I start this latest system generation, gnome
>> shell crashes after about 1 minute (I get the “oops, something went
>> wrong” grey screen of death).
>
> This has happened to me several times when I upgrade the system but
> not my user profile. Upgrading my profile and rebooting has solved the
> problem for me in the past.

Thank you!! I had the same issue and it fixed it for me :-)

Best

--
Daniel

* Re: gnome shell crashes after ~1m
@ 2022-07-14 11:30   ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2022-07-14 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luis.felipe.la; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Luis,

thanks, upgrading my user profile solved it for me, too.  (Actually I
thought I'd already done that, but apparently I must have lost my
patience during a large texlive download, and aborted the first
upgrade)

@ 2022-07-17 18:49     ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2022-07-17 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com, help-guix@gnu.org

On Thursday, July 14, 2022, Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be>
wrote:

> Hi Luis,
>
> thanks, upgrading my user profile solved it for me, too.  (Actually I
> thought I'd already done that, but apparently I must have lost my patience
> during a large texlive download, and aborted the first upgrade)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Thomas

I have exactly the same problem after my laptop ran out of battery. I did
not perform any system upgrades. Also after doing guix system reconfigure
and guix home reconfigure still the same problem, any ideas how to proceed?

Cheers,
Reza