unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Is there a post or blog on how to convert from a distro to guix losslessly
@ 2023-10-04  3:49 Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2023-10-04  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I have a base minimal system of Ubuntu with Guix and Nix tacked on.  I
would like to move everything over to Guix with Nix tacked on.  Is
there a guide on how to do this?

* Re: Is there a post or blog on how to convert from a distro to guix losslessly
@ 2023-10-07 15:17 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2023-10-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall, help-guix

October 3, 2023 11:51 PM, "Josh Marshall" <joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a base minimal system of Ubuntu with Guix and Nix tacked on. I
> would like to move everything over to Guix with Nix tacked on. Is
> there a guide on how to do this?

Well, the easiest (and possibly dangerous way) to do this, would be to create
a config.scm file, then run guix system init /etc/config.scm

When you reboot, you would be running guix system.

* Re: Is there a post or blog on how to convert from a distro to guix losslessly
@ 2023-10-07 19:55   ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2023-10-07 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: help-guix

I'm not looking to live that much on the edge!

@ 2023-10-07 22:29     ` wolf
From: wolf @ 2023-10-07 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall; +Cc: jbranso, help-guix

On 2023-10-07 15:55:29 -0400, Josh Marshall wrote:
> I'm not looking to live that much on the edge!

I personally did the conversion by backing the drive to a portable USB disk,
doing clean install and copying the files back.

That is what will most likely work.  In place conversion are possible (I am
sure, even if I am unsure how exactly), but will definitely be somewhat hairy
and will recommend backing the data first anyway...

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2023, 11:17 AM <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
>
> > October 3, 2023 11:51 PM, "Josh Marshall" <
> > joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a base minimal system of Ubuntu with Guix and Nix tacked on. I
> > > would like to move everything over to Guix with Nix tacked on. Is
> > > there a guide on how to do this?
> >

> > Well, the easiest (and possibly dangerous way) to do this, would be to
> > create
> > a config.scm file, then run guix system init /etc/config.scm
> >
> > When you reboot, you would be running guix system.

W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Is there a post or blog on how to convert from a distro to guix losslessly
@ 2023-10-11  9:47 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-10-11  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall, help-guix

Hi,

On Tue, 03 Oct 2023 at 23:49, Josh Marshall <joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a base minimal system of Ubuntu with Guix and Nix tacked on.  I
> would like to move everything over to Guix with Nix tacked on.  Is
> there a guide on how to do this?

To me knowledge, no.

Well, IMHO, the path forward would be to create a system configuration
file based; give a look to gnu/system/examples in Guix source for
inspiration. :-)

Then test that configuration from Ubuntu by generating VM.  Once you are
more or less happy with your config.scm, then you can run it on
bare-metal.

Here, you have an incremental path with a simple feedback loop in the
comfort of your current environment that already works. :-)

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Is there a post or blog on how to convert from a distro to guix losslessly
@ 2023-10-11 13:18   ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2023-10-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: help-guix

Very helpful!

@ 2023-10-13 20:45     ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2023-10-13 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: help-guix

One thing which could be done is to use https://repology.org/ to map
currently installed packages from detected package managers to
available packages in Guix and inform the user about missing packages.
That could help.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 9:18 AM Josh Marshall

@ 2023-10-18  1:48       ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2023-10-18  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: help-guix

Looks like https://dumps.repology.org/ provides sufficient data to
have this kind of mapping, provided there is some leg work to map
distros to their multiple respective repositories.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 4:45 PM Josh Marshall