unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix gc only the rebuildable items
@ 2021-02-16 19:47 Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-02-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

is there a way to guix gc, but only for the
buildable items ? (I have low bandwidth /
CPU ratio here).

I.e. keep the downloadable source tarballs
and git repo checkouts.

Thanks

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: guix gc only the rebuildable items
@ 2021-02-16 20:12 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2021-02-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 08:47:31PM +0100, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to guix gc, but only for the
> buildable items ? (I have low bandwidth /
> CPU ratio here).
>
> I.e. keep the downloadable source tarballs
> and git repo checkouts.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Vincent Legoll

To quote the manual¹
In this way, setting --gc-keep-derivations to yes causes liveness to flow from outputs to derivations, and setting --gc-keep-outputs to yes causes liveness to flow from derivations to outputs. When both are set to yes, the effect is to keep all the build prerequisites (the sources, compiler, libraries, and other build-time tools) of live objects in the store, regardless of whether these prerequisites are reachable from a GC root. This is convenient for developers since it saves rebuilds or downloads.

¹ https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix_002ddaemon.html#Invoking-guix_002ddaemon

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix gc only the rebuildable items
@ 2021-02-16 20:53   ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-02-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:13 PM Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> To quote the manual¹
> In this way, setting --gc-keep-derivations to yes causes liveness to flow from outputs to derivations, and setting --gc-keep-outputs to yes causes liveness to flow from derivations to outputs. When both are set to yes, the effect is to keep all the build prerequisites (the sources, compiler, libraries, and other build-time tools) of live objects in the store, regardless of whether these prerequisites are reachable from a GC root. This is convenient for developers since it saves rebuilds or downloads.

Ouch, I should have RTFM, thanks a lot !

--
Vincent Legoll