unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Kernel panic while installing GuixSD
@ 2016-01-25 18:25 Kabelo Moiloa
From: Kabelo Moiloa @ 2016-01-25 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I copied the installation image onto my USB flash drive. When I tried to
boot it, I got the following kernel panic.:
kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block
(0,1).

I tried a different flash drive once, and I was at least able to boot it.
However, that flash drive is not mine, so I can't easily obtain it again.
Further, the Parabola GNU/Linux installation image can mount my USB drive.

Kind Regards,
Kabelo

* Re: Kernel panic while installing GuixSD
@ 2016-01-26 14:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-26 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kabelo Moiloa; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Kabelo Moiloa <moiloakabelo@gmail.com> skribis:

> I copied the installation image onto my USB flash drive. When I tried to
> boot it, I got the following kernel panic.:
> kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block
> (0,1).

Could you report the error messages that show up before that one?

It seems that the initialization code failed to locate the device that
contains the installation image.

TIA,
Ludo’.

* Re: Kernel panic while installing GuixSD
@ 2016-01-26 17:59   ` Kabelo Moiloa
From: Kabelo Moiloa @ 2016-01-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Could you elaborate, do you want me to write down the call trace? The last
things to be displayed for me are the call trace, some quartets of
hexadecimal numbers, and the hardware name.

@ 2016-01-26 18:36     ` Kabelo Moiloa
From: Kabelo Moiloa @ 2016-01-26 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Okay, using a VirtualBox VM, I obtained the following error message before
the VFS one:
No filesystem could mount root, tries ext3 ext2 ext4 vfat

@ 2016-01-28 13:39       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-28 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kabelo Moiloa; +Cc: help-guix

Kabelo Moiloa <moiloakabelo@gmail.com> skribis:

> Okay, using a VirtualBox VM, I obtained the following error message before
> the VFS one:
> No filesystem could mount root, tries ext3 ext2 ext4 vfat

I don’t know where this message comes from; there’s no such error
message in Guix.

Could you type ‘e’ from the GRUB menu, and add “--repl” on the ‘linux’
line, then type Ctrl-X?

That should give you a Guile prompt.  From there can you type:

  ,use (gnu build file-systems)

  (disk-partitions)

  (find-partition-by-label "gnu-disk-image")

and send us what the last two lines return?

Thanks in advance,
Ludo’.

* Re: Kernel panic while installing GuixSD
@ 2016-01-28 22:13         ` Kabelo Moiloa
From: Kabelo Moiloa @ 2016-01-28 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org