unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Fwd: SSH in git-fetch
       [not found] <CAEM+zmjXVqARy5uPS=Hydp49-pXDUJ1dwgF-B5SLcb13=soz3g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-07-13 16:07 ` Lo Peter
From: Lo Peter @ 2021-07-13 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lo Peter <peterloleungyau@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 10:38 PM
Subject: SSH in git-fetch
To: <guix-devel@gnu.org>

Dear all,

I am experimenting with writing a package definition for an example R
package (https://github.com/jennybc/foofactors) in a PRIVATE channel,
where the R source is also at a PRIVATE github repository.
While the private channel works with proper setup of SSH key (that
needs to be in PEM format due to a bug in libssh2), I am having
trouble with the private git repository for package source.

Is it that git-fetch does not support fetching over SSH?

The package definition I have is:

(define-module (my-packages r-pkgs)
  #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix git-download)
  #:use-module (guix utils)
  #:use-module (guix build-system r)
  #:use-module (gnu packages)
  #:use-module (gnu packages statistics))

(define-public r-foofactors
  (let ((commit "ef71e8d2e82fa80e0cfc249fd42f50c01924326d")
        (revision "1"))
    (package
      (name "r-foofactors")
      (version (git-version "0.0.0.9000" revision commit))
      (source
       (origin
         (method git-fetch)
         (uri (git-reference
               (url "git@github.com:peterloleungyau/foofactors.git")
               (commit commit)))
         (file-name (git-file-name name version))
         (sha256
          (base32
           "1hmfwac2zdl8x6r21yy5b257c4891106ana4j81hfn6rd0rl9f72"))))
      (build-system r-build-system)
      (propagated-inputs
       `(("r-forcats" ,r-forcats)))
      (home-page "https://github.com/jennybc/foofactors")
      (synopsis "A R package to make factors less aggravating.")
      (description
       "Factors have driven people to extreme measures, like ordering
custom conference ribbons and laptop stickers to express how HELLNO we
feel about stringsAsFactors. And yet, sometimes you need them. Can they
be made less maddening? Let's find out.")
      (license license:expat))))

Note that I have cloned the original public repository to my private
repository (for testing purpose). I have added the package definition
to my local ~/to_keep/projects/my-guix-pkgs/my-packages/r-pkgs.scm

Then I test building it locally with

$ guix build -L ~/to_keep/projects/my-guix-pkgs/ r-foofactors
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/gnzw26jl9vw3z10cdnpcahd67zlf1ziy-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d.drv
   /gnu/store/2l35rb0s5fjk1v8vczir6cp6lfmbbf12-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d-checkout.drv
building /gnu/store/2l35rb0s5fjk1v8vczir6cp6lfmbbf12-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d-checkout.drv...
guile: warning: failed to install locale
environment variable `PATH' set to
`/gnu/store/378zjf2kgajcfd7mfr98jn5xyc5wa3qv-gzip-1.10/bin:/gnu/store/sf3rbvb6iqcphgm1afbplcs72hsywg25-tar-1.32/bin'
hint: Using 'master' as the name for the initial branch. This default
branch name
hint: is subject to change. To configure the initial branch name to use in all
hint: of your new repositories, which will suppress this warning, call:
hint:
hint:   git config --global init.defaultBranch <name>
hint:
hint: Names commonly chosen instead of 'master' are 'main', 'trunk' and
hint: 'development'. The just-created branch can be renamed via this command:
hint:
hint:   git branch -m <name>
Initialized empty Git repository in
/gnu/store/7i9py1b47lsg2d2wqjk68ha04rv2l89i-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d-checkout/.git/
error: cannot run ssh: No such file or directory
fatal: unable to fork
Failed to do a shallow fetch; retrying a full fetch...
error: cannot run ssh: No such file or directory
fatal: unable to fork
git-fetch: '/gnu/store/ra24wp6glfzmpx1w6i3471aqcqqdrk96-git-minimal-2.32.0/bin/git
fetch origin' failed with exit code 128
Trying content-addressed mirror at berlin.guix.gnu.org...
Trying content-addressed mirror at berlin.guix.gnu.org...
Trying to download from Software Heritage...
builder for `/gnu/store/2l35rb0s5fjk1v8vczir6cp6lfmbbf12-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d-checkout.drv'
failed to produce output path `/gnu/store/7i9py1b47lsg2d2wqjk68ha04r
build of /gnu/store/2l35rb0s5fjk1v8vczir6cp6lfmbbf12-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d-checkout.drv
failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/2l/35rb0s5fjk1v8vczir6cp6lfmbbf12-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d-checkout.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/gnzw26jl9vw3z10cdnpcahd67zlf1ziy-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d.drv':
1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix build: error: build of
`/gnu/store/gnzw26jl9vw3z10cdnpcahd67zlf1ziy-r-foofactors-0.0.0.9000-1.ef71e8d.drv'
failed

Why is there an error of "cannot run ssh"? Is it that git-fetch does
not support fetching over SSH?

I would like to prompt the use of Guix for per-project management in
my small team of data scientists, so we would need a private channel
for a few internal R packages. The above problem is a real blocker.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter Lo

* Re: Fwd: SSH in git-fetch
@ 2021-07-14  9:18   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2021-07-14  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lo Peter; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Peter,

Lo Peter <peterloleungyau@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it that git-fetch does not support fetching over SSH?

As Luis mentioned, for a package, if you use "git-checkout" as the
origin and provide a Git SSH URL, it will work.  I'm not sure if an
equivalent exists for other transmission methods, but I doubt it (e.g.,
using Mercurial over SSH to check out a Mercurial repository, or using
SFTP to fetch a release tarball over the SSH File Transfer Protocol).
For channels, it will work if you just provide a Git SSH URL in your
channels.scm file.  I tested this just now on my own machines, and it
definitely works.

However, since Guix uses libgit2 under the hood, rather than invoking
the "ssh" command, as you noticed there may be subtle differences
between how a vanilla "ssh" command works vs. how Guix will handle the
SSH connection.  In any case, running an SSH agent might prove useful.
In both the case of fetching a package via git-checkout and fetching a
channel, Guix will attempt to fetch the repository "outside" the build
environment, so if you are running an agent, it will try to use it.  I'm
not sure if Guix will honor your SSH config, though.

If you are not wedded to SSH, then another option that may be better for
reproducibility is to use HTTPS with the user and password encoded in
the URL.  This is nice because it doesn't require a user to to configure
SSH correctly on their local machine or provision an authorized SSH key
just to fetch the channel or the packages.  In some situations,
embedding a user name and password in the URL in the package definition
may be sufficient, but in other situations, it may not meet your
security requirements (the URLs will wind up in the store and thus be
visible to anyone else logged into the system); it's up to you to decide
what's appropriate for your situation.

Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at> writes:

> Yes, git-fetch does not support fetching over SSH.  "Cannot run ssh" is
> the error returned because the ssh program is missing at fetch time,
> but even if it existed, you'd get a different error, namely one of
> lacking keys.  You'd have to set up Guix to authenticate itself as you
> for pulling the source and while that is in theory possible, there is a
> potential security risk attached to most ways of solving it and no
> clear path forward.
>
> Furthermore, such a feature, were it integrated in Guix, is likely only
> to be used for nonfree software and thus located closely to such
> software itself.

It sounds like you're suggesting that Guix should avoid making it easy
to integrate with existing access control mechanisms because access
control is only useful for non-free software.  I disagree with that.
Access control is useful, and it is often necessary for security or
compliance reasons, even in the world of free software.

The issue of controlling access to a particular repository of software
is orthogonal to the question of whether that software is free software.
It is common for someone to want to maintain a local copy of free
software and also to control access to that copy.  In many
organizations, it is a hard requirement that all software is securely
stored and can only be accessed by authorized entities.  This is true
regardless of whether the software is free software.  It is also easy to
imagine that some people or organizations might prefer or be required to
develop all software, even free software, privately within their own
secure network.  If Guix makes it difficult for developers to use it in
an environment where access control is required, Guix is less likely to
be used in those environments, and I think that would be a missed
opportunity.

I don't think it helps the free software movement to encourage the idea
that access control is somehow antithetical to free software.  It isn't.
Even the FSF controls access to its software repositories via SSH.
Savannah's projects may be available anonymously via FTP or other means,
but the SSH URLs are only usable if you're an FSF associate member.
Similarly, great free software like Kallithea exists, which is a tool
for hosting source code repositories, restricting access to them, and
making it easy to collaborate with others.  There are many, many free
software projects that integrate well with access control systems, and
it does not mean they are somehow not good members of the free software
community.

In short, the need for access control is not unusual, and it does not go
against the spirit of free software.  It should be easy to use Guix in
environments where access control is required.  I'm glad that channels
and packages can be used over SSH and that we have a variety of options
besides SSH for controlling access, too.  However, SSH is a very common
way to control access these days, and I think there are opportunities to
improve that support in Guix.

>> I would like to prompt the use of Guix for per-project management in
>> my small team of data scientists, so we would need a private channel
>> for a few internal R packages. The above problem is a real blocker.
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> I don't think this has to necessarily be a blocker.  You can point git-
> fetch to file:// URIs, so your channel could have file:///path/to/repo
> and it'd work under the assumption that your scientists run git pull on
> those repos frequently enough (you could automate that with a script,
> perhaps even one written in Guile/a handwritten Guix extension).  If
> you have company/university intranet, you could also expose those
> internal package over that on a well-known address, that's not
> reachable from outside.

These solutions can work, but because they require extra steps to
implement, they are probably less attractive than using Git over SSH.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Fwd: SSH in git-fetch
@ 2021-07-14 10:12     ` Lo Peter
From: Lo Peter @ 2021-07-14 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

Dear Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have previously tested that fetching from
private channel works (after a workaround of use a PEM format of SSH
key, due to a bug in libssh2). And I have just tested Luis's suggested
workaround and can confirm that it works.

Although the private channel will be kept only without our
organization, I think the security team will frown if there are
passwords in the package definitions committed to the repo. So I think
meanwhile I will use the workaround suggested by Luis.

Regards,
Peter Lo