unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Where to find dmesg and /etc contents of specific system generation?
@ 2021-04-09 12:39 Vladilen Kozin
From: Vladilen Kozin @ 2021-04-09 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi guix.

Is it possible and where could I find contents of /etc for a specific
system generation. Ditto dmesg of the last boot of specific
generation? Not necessarily current generation though.

In a nutshell: I have a generation that boots and works fine, but
sadly I also have a generation that fails to boot. I'd like to debug
the issue by looking at its dmesg as far as it had gotten and also
checking its /etc/fstab and such seeing how the problem appears to be
mount related.

Thank you
--
Best regards
Vlad Kozin

* Re: Where to find dmesg and /etc contents of specific system generation?
@ 2021-04-14 18:34 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladilen Kozin; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Vladilen Kozin <vladilen.kozin@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guix.
>
> Is it possible and where could I find contents of /etc for a specific
> system generation. Ditto dmesg of the last boot of specific
> generation? Not necessarily current generation though.

Hmmm.  I suppose you could try to make a guix system vm with that
configuration, and try to fire up the vm and see what happens...I'm not
certain how helpful that would be though.

> In a nutshell: I have a generation that boots and works fine, but
> sadly I also have a generation that fails to boot. I'd like to debug
> the issue by looking at its dmesg as far as it had gotten and also
> checking its /etc/fstab and such seeing how the problem appears to be
> mount related.

I think guix may support connecting to a serial console, though I've
never tried it.

You're trying to run a server right?  How complicated is your config?

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus