unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Question about one package
@ 2021-03-08 16:02 Charles Direg
From: Charles Direg @ 2021-03-08 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Good morning, to whom it may concern:

First of all, I apologize for using a Gmail email, it happens that I do not
know any mail server that is free, but, if you could give me any
recommendation in this regard, I would greatly appreciate it.

The software that is on this page:
https://www.simulide.com/p/home.html
From my perspective, it is free software, since it is published under the
GPL, however it is not within the Guix repository, could you add it so that
it can be available? I'm not so sure how to create the package, so I come
to you.

And finally, I am a university student, so I am forced to use proprietary
services under the web such as Google Meet, Gmail, etc. Could it be
feasible to use guix with these services without compromising freedom, or
would it be better to continue using Windows for these areas?
I ask this since Mr. Stallman in some of his conferences mentioned that it
was better not to register on websites that require registration, however,
as I insist, I am forced to use those services since my university is
uncompromising when it comes to using other software other than the one
they already have.

Best regards, and thank you very much for your kind time, I will be waiting
attentive to your responses.

Sincerely:
~ Abraham Huerta

* Re: Question about one package
@ 2021-03-08 20:37 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-03-08 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Direg, help-guix

March 8, 2021 11:10 AM, "Charles Direg" <carloshujara@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning, to whom it may concern:

So formal.  :)

> First of all, I apologize for using a Gmail email, it happens that I do not
> know any mail server that is free, but, if you could give me any
> recommendation in this regard, I would greatly appreciate it.

There are two that come to mind:

dismail.de and riseup.net  Both are gratis, but please do consider
donating to them. Nothing is really gratis.  Someone has to pay for it. :)
Fastmail is a paid email account and I think it charges $3 / month.

> The software that is on this page:
> https://www.simulide.com/p/home.html
> From my perspective, it is free software, since it is published under the
> GPL, however it is not within the Guix repository, could you add it so that
> it can be available? I'm not so sure how to create the package, so I come
> to you.

That actually looks super cool!  Most guix developers are volunteers.  Packaging
software for guix is not super hard (I would know!  I've never done it!).  The
contributing section of the manual may give you some pointers.

If you'd rather pay someone to package this for you...that is certainly possible.
I would guess you'd pay $50-$500 for that service.  Can someone else chime in here?
How much would you charge to package something for guix?

> And finally, I am a university student, so I am forced to use proprietary
> services under the web such as Google Meet, Gmail, etc. Could it be
> feasible to use guix with these services without compromising freedom, or
> would it be better to continue using Windows for these areas?
> I ask this since Mr. Stallman in some of his conferences mentioned that it
> was better not to register on websites that require registration, however,
> as I insist, I am forced to use those services since my university is
> uncompromising when it comes to using other software other than the one
> they already have.

Almost all things that Windows can do, GNU/Linux can do.  Guix has
ungoogled-chromium packaged, which would easily run Google Meet, Gmail, etc.
There may be some specific windows-only programs that you may need to use...
but generally it'll run on Linux too.  Even some windows-only programs will
run in wine on GNU/Linux.

I personally have an old Android phone.  I want to have a phone that runs
GNU/Linux, but I haven't bought anything yet.  I also use jmp.chat.  My phone
bill is $3/month.  :)

@ 2021-03-08 21:47 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-03-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Direg; +Cc: help-guix

Hi there,

> First of all, I apologize for using a Gmail email, it happens that I do not
> know any mail server that is free, but, if you could give me any
> recommendation in this regard, I would greatly appreciate it.

There’s nothing wrong with using an email server that is operated by
somebody else, so there’s absolutely no need to apologize.

Furthermore, it’s up to *you* what software you use.  Some people
construe the use of proprietary software or centralized services as a
moral failing of some sort — it certainly is not.  Proprietary software
denies those who use it control.  That is why it is injust.

We only ask that proprietary software should not be endorsed or
discussed on the Guix project communication channels.  But nobody should
judge others for the software they choose to use (or accept to be used
by).

> The software that is on this page:
> https://www.simulide.com/p/home.html
> From my perspective, it is free software, since it is published under the
> GPL, however it is not within the Guix repository, could you add it so that
> it can be available? I'm not so sure how to create the package, so I come
> to you.

If you are interested in learning how to package this, we could do this
together.  This is a Qt5 application – we have a couple of those in the
repository.  The README.md file lists a few dependencies, most of which
look familiar to me.  The only difficult part might be to integrate the
AVR GCC toolchain, but we can cross that bridge when we get there.

If you like to give it a try, I suggest you read and follow along in the
packaging tutorial in the Cookbook:

   https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Packaging.html

Once you have a rough understanding of how things are designed to work
we can work on this package together here on help-guix@gnu.org.  Sounds
good?

> And finally, I am a university student, so I am forced to use proprietary
> services under the web such as Google Meet, Gmail, etc. Could it be
> feasible to use guix with these services without compromising freedom, or
> would it be better to continue using Windows for these areas?

At least for Gmail there’s a way to use it without proprietary software
(= their JavaScript that your browser mindlessly executes).  You can use
Gmail as an IMAP/POP + SMTP server and connect to it with free software.

I no longer use Gmail, but the solution I use also works for Gmail:
offlineimap (for synchronizing a local copy of my email with the IMAP
server), msmtpd (for sending emails through the remote SMTP server), mu
(for local indexing and search), and mu4e (for a mail client in Emacs).

--
Ricardo

* Re: Question about one package
@ 2021-03-09  3:30   ` Charles Direg
From: Charles Direg @ 2021-03-09  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Ricardo and jbranso, thank you very much for your reply.

I appreciate your comments and will take them into account.

Agreed Ricardo, I will read the cookbook, thanks for the recommendation ...
If I would like to continue learning Guix and especially put it as my main
system, only that I was missing that package to use it on a daily basis.

Another question, how could I change the theme in GNOME? Since in other
distros, it was simply to put the theme in /usr/share/themes, how could I
do it in guix?

Thank you very much again.

--
~ Huerta Jara Carlos Abraham

* Re: Question about one package
@ 2021-03-19 12:52     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-03-19 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Direg; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

Charles Direg <carloshujara@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Ricardo and jbranso, thank you very much for your reply.
>
> I appreciate your comments and will take them into account.
>
> Another question, how could I change the theme in GNOME? Since in other
> distros, it was simply to put the theme in /usr/share/themes, how could I
> do it in guix?

I don't use gnome.  Sway seems to work more reliably for me.  But you
can probably put some themes in /usr/share/themes/ and see if that lets
you switch gnome themes.  I don't think that the gnome service supports
using different themes yet.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Question about one package
@ 2021-03-19 22:58       ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-03-19 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: Charles Direg, Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix@gnu.org

> > Hello Ricardo and jbranso, thank you very much for your reply.
> > I appreciate your comments and will take them into account.
> > Another question, how could I change the theme in GNOME? Since in other
> > distros, it was simply to put the theme in /usr/share/themes, how could I
> > do it in guix?
>
> I don't use gnome. Sway seems to work more reliably for me. But you
> can probably put some themes in /usr/share/themes/ and see if that lets
> you switch gnome themes. I don't think that the gnome service supports
> using different themes yet. :)

I tried, and it seems GNOME themes work normally.

1. Download any theme you want.
2. Extract the theme.
3. Put it in /home/YOUR_USER/.local/share/themes
   (create the "themes" directory if it doesn't exist)
4. Open GNOME Tweaks (install gnome-tweaks if you don't have it)
5. Go to Appearance and select the theme.

Hope that helps.

* Re: Question about one package
@ 2021-03-19 23:20         ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-03-19 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe
  Cc: Joshua Branson, Charles Direg, Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix@gnu.org

On Friday, March 19, 2021 10:58 PM, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Oh, and, by default, you can change all themes but the Shell theme. To enable Shell theme selection:

1. guix install gnome-shell-extensions
2. Open GNOME Tweaks
3. Go to "Extensions" and turn on "User themes".
4. Restart GNOME Tweaks (I had to)
5. Go to "Appearance" and select the Shell theme you want.

* Re: Question about one package
@ 2021-03-26 19:48 ` Charles Direg
From: Charles Direg @ 2021-03-26 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,

I have a question, how can I optimize the compilation of packages with guix
when I use --no-substitutes, for example to modify the flags for gcc like
-mcpu=native, -march=native and -mtune=native?

Thanks in advance...

--
~ Huerta Jara Carlos Abraham