unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* updating takes so much memory
@ 2021-06-01 12:00 Tomás Chapunov
From: Tomás Chapunov @ 2021-06-01 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Can I move the Store to another disk?

I have two installations of Guix.
- One Guix SD, it works fine. I'm fiddling with it, but it's a work in
progress.
- One Guix package manager on top of my main debian 10 system. I have some
packages installed, but texlive is giant. When I do:

$ guix package -u

it uses so much memory that always exhaust my PC.

I wonder if I can symlink the store, and relocate it in another disk. I
have more than one.
Is there any best practices recommendation about doing this? Can I break
something?
Is there any issue I have to consider about performance or anything like
that?

Thanks! Guix is marvelous, but it takes a steep learning curve.

* Re: updating takes so much memory
@ 2021-06-01 12:18 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-06-01 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Tomás Chapunov

You'll have to be very careful. Last time I tried, you couldn't symlink the store, but you can mount another file system on /gnu. The main issue is the database in /var/guix.

It needs to be in sync with what's in the store. If you share the store between the two systems, and install packages on both, the database will only know about some packages, so guix gc will wipe the other system.

In addition, you'll need to keep profiles in sync on both systems othewise guix gc will also wipe the profiles from che other system, since they are not gc roots on the current system.