unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How do I retrieve the path to a Guix installed program from command line in a foreign distro?
@ 2021-03-17 12:32 Tomás Chapunov
From: Tomás Chapunov @ 2021-03-17 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

When I'm on Debian, using Guix as package mánager, I found often in the
need to configure Emacs with the full path to a program. By example, SCBL
and Sly. I need to customize the inferior lisp variable and I can't figure
out the way to give the config file the full path to the SCBL 'executable'.
So Sly doesn't find SCBL.

Also, outside Emacs situation, I installed Hplip from Guix because the
debian version was giving me problems and I can't run the new installed
hplip as I wish.
Maybe this two situations are solvable with another perspective. Rhat isn't
what I'm looking after. I only wonder now...

Is there a canonical way to retrieve the full path in my profile to a
specific package with a command, in Guix on a foreign distro?

I used locate or find, but I can't figure out from the output how to detect
and select the correct one.

* Re: How do I retrieve the path to a Guix installed program from command line in a foreign distro?
@ 2021-03-17 13:21 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2021-03-17 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomás Chapunov; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Am Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 09:32:29AM -0300 schrieb Tomás Chapunov:
> Is there a canonical way to retrieve the full path in my profile to a
> specific package with a command, in Guix on a foreign distro?
> I used locate or find, but I can't figure out from the output how to detect
> and select the correct one.

I think you are looking for "which". This shows you which program would
be executed depending on your $PATH variable, and assuming that the Guix
directories are at the front of it, the Guix program will be preferred.
Like so:
$ which calibre
/home/andreas/.guix-profile/bin/calibre

This is actually the common pattern; you can expect the full path to be
$HOME/.guix-profile/bin/name-of-the-binary

Using this would follow updates of your user profile. If you want to know
the real binary behind the scenes, you could use
$ readlink `which calibre`
/gnu/store/bhasa1a7pvv1icmdm6nrpscazw23pa03-calibre-4.18.0/bin/calibre

It does not move, but thus can of course become outdated or even deleted
when you do a "guix gc".

Andreas

* Re: How do I retrieve the path to a Guix installed program from command line in a foreign distro?
@ 2021-03-17 14:08   ` Tomás Chapunov
From: Tomás Chapunov @ 2021-03-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

That is what I was looking for.