unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Alexis Simon <alexis.simon@runbox.com>
To: help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: guix + fish shell help
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:51:47 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi,

Is there any fish power-user using guix here who could help me figuring
out how to set up everything correctly?

My system:
- guix installed on Fedora
- fish installed through Fedora
- My path when I open a new shell, set up with the fish_add_path -U:
/home/alexis/.config/guix/current/bin /home/alexis/.guix-profile/bin
/home/alexis/.cargo/bin  /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/bin
/usr/sbin /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin

The issue I have is that when I run guix shell, the temporary profile
gets added in the middle of things like so:
/home/alexis/.config/guix/current/bin /home/alexis/.guix-profile/bin
/home/alexis/.cargo/bin
/gnu/store/7d6s1wmjh2n1zmrwm72mq1rq0g9fgxga-profile/bin /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin
I'd expect the custom path to go in front of the other paths.

What I guess is happening is that a new shell is started, the bin path
added to PATH, and then the fish shell started (which adds its own
additional paths).

If people could let me know how they've managed to set up fish properly
with guix this would be great.

Thanks!
Alexis