Oleander! >> I know that root is not required to run guix pull and and sudo guix >> system reconfigure. Is it also not necessary to update the root >> definitions on Guix System? > > That's correct. It's not necessary to keep guix definitions updated in > `root` profile, on single-user machine where the regular user has > superuser privileges. This is because, when you system reconfigure as > regular user using sudo, the guix in regular user's profile is used and > not the guix in root's profile. > > The only scenario I could think of - where you gotta keep guix in root's > profile updated is - on multi-user machine where no regular user has > superuser privileges and the system administration is done via root. But > even in that scenario, I think it's a better practice to create a > regular user with superuser privileges for an admin to perform system > administration using sudo. Forgot to mention something. You can test it yourself by doing `which guix` and `sudo which guix` AND/OR `guix -V` and `sudo guix -V`. The output of them will be same because the root profile isn't used. Regards, Raghav "RG" Gururajan.