unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
To: Gary Johnson <lambdatronic@disroot.org>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How do I correctly relocate PostGIS control files?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 20:45:10 -0500	[thread overview]

Le 9 novembre 2020 18:56:56 GMT-05:00, Gary Johnson <lambdatronic@disroot.org> a écrit :
>Hi again Guix,
>
>It's been a week since my original post requesting assistance with
>getting Postgresql and PostGIS to work together correctly, but
>unfortunately I still haven't received any help with this issue.
>
>To summarize the conversation thus far:
>
>1. I can build postgresql-13.0 successfully, and all of its files
>appear
>   in its /gnu/store directory as expected.
>
>2. I can build postgis-3.0.2 succesfully, and all of its files appear
>in
>   its /gnu/store directory as expected.
>
>3. None of the postgis-3.0.2 files are being correctly installed into
>   postgresql-13.0's /gnu/store directory, which AFAICT indicates that
>   the postgresql-service-type code that processes extensions is not
>   working correctly here.

There are actually two postgresql-13.0: the one you build, that does not have postgis (since postgis depends on it), and the one that's created by the service code, as a union of the first one and postgis.

The error message gives you the store path where postgresql tries to find the plugin. Is it the same as the result of "guix build postgresql@13.0"? In that case I think there might be some changes to the way postgresql searches for its plugins. Either it looks for where it's symlinked to, or it embeds its own store path.

In both cases, we need to find another way to make it find its plugins. Do you if there is a way to make it find plugins in non-standard directories (ex /usr/local or /opt in ocher distros)?