unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* updating the daemon on Debian 11
@ 2021-09-09 16:46 Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-09-09 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I learned that in Debian 11 one can install Guix through apt

What about updating the daemon ?

What's the procedure for a Guix installed through apt ?

And what's the procedure for updating a user profile ?

Thanks

* Re: updating the daemon on Debian 11
@ 2021-09-09 18:34 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-09-09 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adriano Peluso, help-guix

September 9, 2021 12:47 PM, "Adriano Peluso" <randomlooser@riseup.net> wrote:

> I learned that in Debian 11 one can install Guix through apt
>
> What about updating the daemon ?

guix pull  (I think ?)

> What's the procedure for a Guix installed through apt ?

That's a great question.

> And what's the procedure for updating a user profile ?

guix package -u

@ 2021-09-09 18:54 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2021-09-09 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adriano Peluso, help-guix

On 2021-09-09, Adriano Peluso wrote:
> I learned that in Debian 11 one can install Guix through apt

  apt install guix

That *should* start the daemon, enable substitutes, create the build
users, etc. You shouldn't have to do anything manually. It will, of
course, be a relatively old version of guix (1.2 in bullseye/stable, 1.3
in unstable/experimental) but you can update guix in the typical ways...

It is pretty similar to a foreign distro install from guix's binary
releases, for the differences, see /usr/share/doc/guix/README.Debian*

> What about updating the daemon ?

The short of it is, the daemon doesn't get updated. It shouldn't need to
most of the time... If there are daemon-relevent security updates, then
you get updates via "apt update && apt upgrade".

You can of course override that and manually configure guix-daemon that
you build in, say, root's profile if you want and need some new features
in the daemon.

> What's the procedure for a Guix installed through apt ?

  apt install guix

> And what's the procedure for updating a user profile ?

Same as on any guix installation:

  guix pull
  guix upgrade

To some extent, it just provides a trust path from Debian to getting a
guix that you then update through the normal guix mechanisms...

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: updating the daemon on Debian 11
@ 2021-09-09 21:57 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-09-09 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, Adriano Peluso, help-guix

September 9, 2021 2:58 PM, "Vagrant Cascadian" <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2021-09-09, Adriano Peluso wrote:
>
>> I learned that in Debian 11 one can install Guix through apt
>
> apt install guix

I just found this guide:

https://ruzkuku.com/texts/debian-guix.html

@ 2021-09-10 12:43   ` Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-09-10 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

Il giorno gio, 09/09/2021 alle 11.54 -0700, Vagrant Cascadian ha
scritto:
> On 2021-09-09, Adriano Peluso wrote:
> > I learned that in Debian 11 one can install Guix through apt
>
>   apt install guix
>
> That *should* start the daemon, enable substitutes, create the build
> users, etc. You shouldn't have to do anything manually. It will, of
> course, be a relatively old version of guix (1.2 in bullseye/stable,
> 1.3
> in unstable/experimental) but you can update guix in the typical
> ways...
>
> It is pretty similar to a foreign distro install from guix's binary
> releases, for the differences, see /usr/share/doc/guix/README.Debian*
>

> > What about updating the daemon ?
>
> The short of it is, the daemon doesn't get updated. It shouldn't need
> most of the time... If there are daemon-relevent security updates,
> then
> you get updates via "apt update && apt upgrade".

Ah ok. This clarifies a bit

Thank you

> > And what's the procedure for updating a user profile ?
>
> Same as on any guix installation:
>
>   guix pull
>   guix upgrade
>

> To some extent, it just provides a trust path from Debian to getting
> guix that you then update through the normal guix mechanisms...

I see

Thanks again