unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* ebook reader recommendations?
@ 2020-12-03  8:58 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-12-03  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guixers!

I'm looking for an open ebook reader, at least something that runs free
software.

I found this fascinating project, although for now you have to assemble
it yourself:

    https://github.com/joeycastillo/The-Open-Book

More conventionally, I found this one, although it seems to be hard to
find on the market:

    https://github.com/bq/cervantes

Any recommendations, anyone?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ebook reader recommendations?
@ 2020-12-03 10:04 ` Timotej Lazar
From: Timotej Lazar @ 2020-12-03 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> [2020-12-03 09:58:22+0100]:
> I'm looking for an open ebook reader, at least something that runs free
> software.

I’m happy with my Kobo Glo. By default it has a pretty hackable Linux
install with a proprietary UI, but it’s possible to run koreader¹ on it,
and even compile the kernel & uboot yourself². It does need some
firmware blobs for initializing the display, but other than that it can
run with just free software (except for wi-fi).

Unforunately the chipset is not supported in the mainstream kernel, so
it’s limited to the ancient 2.6.something kernel released by Kobo, which
does not work with the newer glibcs. I did manage to get Alpine running
on it with musl. Newer Kobo models are available and apparently just as
hackable, so that might be worth checking out.

¹ https://github.com/koreader/koreader
² https://github.com/lgeek/okreader

* Re: ebook reader recommendations?
@ 2020-12-03 11:16   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-12-03 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timotej Lazar; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Timotej, thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

I'm realizing that my question was ambiguous: I'm looking for hardware
indeed, not software :)

--

@ 2020-12-03 11:59 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira via
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira via @ 2020-12-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Em 03/12/2020 05:58, Pierre Neidhardt escreveu:
> I'm looking for an open ebook reader, at least something that runs free
> software.

Perhaps this question should be directed to the team inside FSF responsible for doing hardware evaluation, namely, Respects Your Freedom.

--
* Ativista do software livre
	* https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
	* Membro dos grupos avaliadores de
		* Software (Free Software Directory)
		* Distribuições de sistemas (FreedSoftware)
		* Sites (Free JavaScript Action Team)
	* Não sou advogado e não fomento os não livres
* Sempre veja o spam/lixo eletrônico do teu e-mail
	* Ou coloque todos os recebidos na caixa de entrada
* Sempre assino e-mails com OpenPGP
	* Chave pública: vide endereço anterior
	* Qualquer outro pode ser fraude
	* Se não tens OpenPGP, ignore o anexo "signature.asc"
* Ao enviar anexos
	* Docs., planilhas e apresentações: use OpenDocument
	* Outros tipos: vide endereço anterior
* Use protocolos de comunicação federadas
	* Vide endereço anterior
* Mensagens secretas somente via
	* XMPP com OMEMO
	* E-mail criptografado e assinado com OpenPGP

* Re: ebook reader recommendations?
@ 2020-12-03 16:23   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-12-03 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adonay Felipe Nogueira; +Cc: Help-Guix

 Hi Pierre!

It’s not really an e-reader but the remarkable series is powered by a lot of free software and is very hackable.

Maybe one day our images will be small enough to put onto these small systems :)

- John

* Re: ebook reader recommendations?
@ 2020-12-04 10:39     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-12-04 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo, Adonay Felipe Nogueira; +Cc: Help-Guix

Hi John,

Thanks for the hint.
I suppose this is the product you were talking about:

  https://remarkable.com/

Can you expand on how "hackable" it is?  Can we replace the software?
If not, what kind of access to the OS do we have?  Any link?

Cheers!

--

@ 2020-12-04 10:44   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-12-04 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adonay Felipe Nogueira, help-guix

Adonay Felipe Nogueira via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Perhaps this question should be directed to the team inside FSF responsible for doing hardware evaluation, namely, Respects Your Freedom.

Good point!

They have a website (https://ryf.fsf.org/), but do they have a mailing
list or some kind of public communication channel?

--

@ 2020-12-04 10:56       ` Edouard Klein
From: Edouard Klein @ 2020-12-04 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Pierre Neidhardt writes:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the hint.
> I suppose this is the product you were talking about:
>
>   https://remarkable.com/
>
> Can you expand on how "hackable" it is?  Can we replace the software?
> If not, what kind of access to the OS do we have?  Any link?

You basically can SSH into it. It's running Linux on ARM. As far as I know the UI and support
software is closed source, but there is a great community building open
source tools for the device.

https://github.com/reHackable/awesome-reMarkable

@ 2020-12-04 11:03 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-12-04 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edouard Klein; +Cc: Help-Guix

     Ah I see.

My mistake.    It appears there are proprietary components inside the remarkable. My apologies.

- John

* Re: ebook reader recommendations?
@ 2020-12-04 12:34         ` Sébastien Lerique
From: Sébastien Lerique @ 2020-12-04 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edouard Klein; +Cc: help-guix

On 04 Dec 2020 at 11:56, Edouard Klein <edou@rdklein.fr> wrote:
> Pierre Neidhardt writes:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Thanks for the hint.
>> I suppose this is the product you were talking about:
>>
>>   https://remarkable.com/
>>
>> Can you expand on how "hackable" it is?  Can we replace the
>> software?
>> If not, what kind of access to the OS do we have?  Any link?
>
> You basically can SSH into it. It's running Linux on ARM. As far
> as I know the UI and support
> software is closed source, but there is a great community
> building open
> source tools for the device.
>
> https://github.com/reHackable/awesome-reMarkable

There's also the Parabola-rM project which replaces the entire
reMarkable OS with a foss one.

http://www.davisr.me/projects/parabola-rm/

On a side-note, the same Davis also develops RCU
<http://www.davisr.me/projects/rcu/>, which I would love to manage
to package for Guix, but my first attempts have led into deeper
waters than I could solve, fixing problems with python-pyside-2.
If anyone else is interested in this, let me know and we can get
it done!

Cheers,
S.

* Re: ebook reader recommendations?
@ 2020-12-04 14:33           ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira via
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira via @ 2020-12-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Em 04/12/2020 09:34, Sébastien Lerique escreveu:
> On a side-note, the same Davis also develops RCU <http://www.davisr.me/projects/rcu/>, which I would love to manage to package for Guix, but my first attempts have led into deeper waters than I could solve, fixing problems with python-pyside-2. If anyone else is interested in this, let me know and we can get it done!

Don't forget to also make this into a thread on the Guix development mailing list and open an issue/task/bug in the tracker so Guix community can better organize the efforts. :)

--

@ 2020-12-04 16:48 ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2020-12-04 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

For hardware, I too have found Kobo hardware pretty decent -
they're fairly hackable and are well supported by third-party
open/free software. The Remarkable tablets are also supposed to be
pretty hackable, but they're a bit pricey and I have no direct
experience here.

For software, I really like Koreader -
https://github.com/koreader/koreader - it works really well on
eink devices (as well as Android tablets and even, to a certain
extent, desktop linux).

 —Ben

On 2020-12-03T01:58:22-0700, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz>

--