* Aw: Another Raspberry Pi data point
@ 2021-02-13 14:38 Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2021-02-13 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi!

The change in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44543> is waiting to be committed by someone. And I will send more changes to progress with the Raspberry support.

Currently I have a booting setup over NFS with the firmware blob, a customized U-Boot, Grub and kernel. There is no possibility yet to create an image, but I have changes ongoing with a different Grub package to make that possible.

I’m progessing slowly, I don’t have much spare time. And it seems that my personal interrests regarding Guix have only small intersections with other people’s interrests (who have commit rights), so it takes time for my patches to be applied. But I’m patient. :-)

My first contributions were to make NFS booting possible in general. This required changes in Guix and Grub. Then I focused on chainloading firmware and bootloaders. Now I’m about to provide Raspberry specific U-Boot packages (actually ready, but I’d first like to improve the defconfig handling, which may later also ease kernel modifications, see <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45046>, which is also waiting to be committed). In the meantime I think I found a way to create an image with a chainloading Grub.

However, I currently hit a blocking issue with qemu, which is not buinding anymore on aarch64 – it is failing in the virtio-net-test. It is needed to build the Grub package. I found no reason why this started to fail, at least the same qemu sources were building with an older Guix version.

Any solution to get qemu building on aarch64 again wound be very welcome. :-)

When all this is done, a future step will be to find out if or how the linux-libre kernel is usable for the Raspberry and if the rpi-open-firmware (already packaged by Danny) can replace the firmware blob.

Bye

Stefan

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-02-13 14:41 UTC | newest]