unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Question about sending in patches
@ 2021-04-14 23:11 Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-04-14 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix users!

A while ago I sent in a patch to add a package, but I realize, that I might have
made a mistake, by attaching the git patch file, instead of copy pasting its
content as a message.

Should I send a new patch with the patch as the only text in the e-mail?

Would this conflict with the possibly wrongly sent patch?

Best wishes,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl

* Re: Question about sending in patches
@ 2021-04-15  1:08 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-15  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 01:11:13AM +0200, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
> A while ago I sent in a patch to add a package, but I realize, that I might have
> made a mistake, by attaching the git patch file, instead of copy pasting its
> content as a message.
>
> Should I send a new patch with the patch as the only text in the e-mail?

No, the attachment is totally fine. However you get your code submitted
is good enough.

It may actually be more reliable to use an attachment, rather than
copying and pasting.

* Re: Question about sending in patches
@ 2021-04-16 14:01 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> writes:

> Hello Guix users!
>
> A while ago I sent in a patch to add a package, but I realize, that I might have
> made a mistake, by attaching the git patch file, instead of copy pasting its
> content as a message.

I think that it's ok to attach the git patch file.  The guix manual
reccomends using git send-email.  Here is a todo website that shows you
how to submit patches via git send email:

https://git-send-email.io/

> Should I send a new patch with the patch as the only text in the e-mail?

I would just use git send email in the future.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Question about sending in patches
@ 2021-04-16 18:22   ` Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-04-16 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

Il giorno mer, 14/04/2021 alle 21.08 -0400, Leo Famulari ha scritto:

> It may actually be more reliable to use an attachment, rather than
> copying and pasting.

It was more reliable in my experience

At the time I was using a gmail account and when I pasted the text of
my patched in the body of an email, the text arrived mangled

I was overwhelmed by the git-send-mail thing so I attached my patches
for quite some time

of course the git-send-mail thing is more integrated but it's not a
strict requirement

* Re: Question about sending in patches
@ 2021-04-16 18:58   ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-04-16 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Leo!

On 4/15/21 3:08 AM, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 01:11:13AM +0200, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
>> A while ago I sent in a patch to add a package, but I realize, that I might have
>> made a mistake, by attaching the git patch file, instead of copy pasting its
>> content as a message.
>>
>> Should I send a new patch with the patch as the only text in the e-mail?
> No, the attachment is totally fine. However you get your code submitted
> is good enough.
>
> It may actually be more reliable to use an attachment, rather than
> copying and pasting.

I see. Thank you!

Regards,
Zelphir