Hi, thanks for your help > You use >> >> lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly >> >> to create the document, I tried to go into my lilypond profile and to create a lilypond file: lilypond test.ly but it doesn’t create a document. message: test.ly can’t be found. Than I created a file: touch test.ly and opended it with: gedit test.ly So I can edit this file but terminal message: TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context' Do I have to install something else? How can I create a .ly file in the terminal? On the lilypond website they create a file with frescobaldi, but they don’t explain how to do it in the terminal. Kind regards Gottfried Am 20.03.23 um 15:43 schrieb Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide: > Hi, > > Gottfried writes: > >> 1. >> Did you install only lilypond and use it? >> When I installed it, there was no icon/symbol in my menu >> so I didn’t know how to open lilypond. > > Lilypond is a commandline program that turns textual descriptions of the > score into a PDF (or midi). You use > > lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly > > to create the document, so automation is much easier. > > You edit the .ly-files with any text editor you choose. > >> 2. >> How could I have opened lilypond? > > If you open a command shell, you should be able to simply type lilypond > (or, on Windows: lilypond.exe) to run it. > >> 4. >> I would have to learn it from scratch >> and additionally through importing songs from Musescore >> I would see what the code looks like. > > That’s one of the advantages of lilypond: you actually see what it does. > It’s the LaTeX of music and provides the most beautiful scores. > > Best wishes, > Arne --