unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* "profile contains conflicting entries..." for packages with the same version
@ 2022-06-18 14:04 Chris Keschnat via
From: Chris Keschnat via @ 2022-06-18 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I have "remmina" installed and get the following errors when trying to
install "glib":

$ guix install glib
The following package will be installed:
    glib 2.70.2

guix install: error: profile contains conflicting entries for glib
guix install: error:   first entry: glib@2.70.2
/gnu/store/zqy7rhv26ax5ng8ws3d3vs8gr1k1k491-glib-2.70.2
guix install: error:   second entry: glib@2.70.2
/gnu/store/1gdvmmgimszagxr0l78kcx398c5g6608-glib-2.70.2
guix install: error:    ... propagated from dconf@0.40.0
guix install: error:    ... propagated from remmina@1.4.23
hint: Try upgrading both `glib' and `remmina', or remove one of them
from the profile.

In general I think the solution would be to use multiple profiles[1] if
I had need for multiple versions of the same package?

But why does this happen here? The versions seem to be the same.

I did a "guix pull" and "guix upgrade" before and all packages should be
up to date.

Thank you

Chris

[1] I don't (yet) as I'm very new to guix and trying to find my way around

* Re: "profile contains conflicting entries..." for packages with the same version
@ 2022-06-18 14:27 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-06-18 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Keschnat; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Chris,

Chris Keschnat via 写道:

> guix install: error: profile contains conflicting entries for
> glib
> guix install: error:   first entry: glib@2.70.2
> /gnu/store/zqy7rhv26ax5ng8ws3d3vs8gr1k1k491-glib-2.70.2
> guix install: error:   second entry: glib@2.70.2
> /gnu/store/1gdvmmgimszagxr0l78kcx398c5g6608-glib-2.70.2
> guix install: error:    ... propagated from dconf@0.40.0
> guix install: error:    ... propagated from remmina@1.4.23
> hint: Try upgrading both `glib' and `remmina', or remove one of
> them
> from the profile.
>

> In general I think the solution would be to use multiple
> profiles[1]
> if I had need for multiple versions of the same package?

In *general*, the solution is to upgrade both in the same
transaction:

  $ guix install remmina glib

(because installing the latest remmina is equivalent to upgrading
it).

However, in this particular case it won't work because remmina
does seem to propagate a different glib than the ‘glib’ package
exported to the CLI.

I don't have time to investigate, but it seems related to the :bin
output, because

  $ guix install remmina glib:bin

works fine.

> In general I think the solution would be to use multiple
> profiles[1]

Maybe, yes.  For a meaningful answer we'll need to know why you're
installing glib.  Development?  Installing libraries by hand isn't
something ‘most average users regularly’ do in Guix.

> But why does this happen here? The versions seem to be the same.

But the hashes aren't.  Version numbers aren't very relevant in
Guix (their main practical use is to make the CLI feel familiar),
only whether the package is identical or not.

> I did a "guix pull" and "guix upgrade" before and all packages
> should
> be up to date.

Yes, they would be.  That would often help mitigate this error,
but sadly not in this case.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: "profile contains conflicting entries..." for packages with the same version
@ 2022-06-18 16:51   ` Chris Keschnat via
From: Chris Keschnat via @ 2022-06-18 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Tobias,

thank you. I did have a look at the remmina package and also suspected
the bin output but wasn't sure. Installing glib:bin does work.

| Installing libraries by hand isn't something ‘most average users
regularly’ do in Guix.

This is due to me not yet knowing "the guix way" / packaging very well,
but I also liking to go all-in (meaning I do use guix as my main machine).

I wanted to (and have) installed mu4e. The installation with straight.el
failed so I went into the directory to see what the problem was and
installed the dependencies that "make test" told me were missing.

Thanks

Chris

@ 2022-06-18 18:14     ` Chris Keschnat via
From: Chris Keschnat via @ 2022-06-18 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Just for completeness:

I now realized that the mu package installs mu4e and have disabled
building mu4e in straight.el (:straight (:type built-in)).

That solves every problem I had.