unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix workflow not found?
@ 2021-04-28 18:01 stuebinm
From: stuebinm @ 2021-04-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

(I hope this is the right place for this question)

I'm on a newly installed Guix machine, and have done the following:

   guix pull
   guix install gwl
   guix workflow

The output of the last is:

   guix: workflow: command not found
   Try `guix --help' for more information

As far as I can see from the gwl installation instructions [1], this
should work out of the box. However, from inside guix repl I also cannot
load the (guix scripts workflow) module, so I assume that perhaps the
GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH variable is set incorrectly, even if it says it
shouldn't be necessary to set it manually when on a guix system (I don't
really know what to set it to, however ...).

But I'm relatively new to both guix and guile, so I may have also just
missed something obvious. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

~stuebinm

[1] https://guixwl.org/manual/html_node/Installation.html#Installation

* Re: guix workflow not found?
@ 2021-04-28 21:06 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-04-28 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stuebinm; +Cc: help-guix

Hi stuebinm,

> (I hope this is the right place for this question)

I’m not sure! :)

This list is fine, but we also have a dedicated GWL list:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gwl-devel/

> I'm on a newly installed Guix machine, and have done the
> following:
>
>   guix pull
>   guix install gwl
>   guix workflow
>
> The output of the last is:
>
>   guix: workflow: command not found
>   Try `guix --help' for more information
>
> As far as I can see from the gwl installation instructions [1],
> this
> should work out of the box. However, from inside guix repl I
> also
> cannot load the (guix scripts workflow) module, so I assume that
> perhaps the GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH variable is set incorrectly,
> even if
> it says it shouldn't be necessary to set it manually when on a
> guix
> system (I don't really know what to set it to, however ...).

I’m sorry about this!  The documentation really is not clear
enough here.  Annoyingly, you currently do need to set
GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH manually.  The reason for that is that Guix
doesn’t yet do this automatically when using “guix pull”.

There is also a reason why the documentation is so vague: we
hadn’t really come to consensus about the exact behavior of
GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH.  I intended to update the documentation once
we had this figured out.

For now, I suggest you set it like this:

    export
    GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH=$GUIX_PROFILE/share/guix/extensions/

where GUIX_PROFILE is the name of the profile directory where you
installed the “gwl” package (in your case that’s likely just
“$HOME/.guix-profile”).

~~~

I should also note that there are a couple of known bugs in the
GWL at this point, and I’m working on adding a DRMAA backend to
submit workflow jobs to an HPC cluster.  There is no date for a
new release yet, but I guess that in a few more weeks we will have
accumulated enough fixes and features to announce a new release.

If you have a particular use-case in mind, I’d be very happy if
you could tell us about it on gwl-devel, so that we can make sure
the GWL grows in a direction that is beneficial for you.

--
Ricardo