unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Re: Git clients struggle with Guix
@ 2020-07-06  9:52 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2020-07-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

> Any tips on how to deal with this? I haven't got a clue about why it
> does this stuff.

I've experienced this behavior when there are some edited .po files. I
usually run "git checkout -- *.po" to get rid of them. You could maybe
share the output of "git status" when you are having this issue?

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: Git clients struggle with Guix
@ 2020-07-06  9:58   ` Pierre Neidhardt
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-07-06  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe, Alexandru-Sergiu Marton; +Cc: help-guix

Another thing that tripped me up with Guix was the use of magit-todos:
Guix is too big and magit-todos takes to much time on every magit invocation.

I just disabled magit-todos for Guix.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git clients struggle with Guix
@ 2020-07-06  9:59 ` Michael Rohleder
From: Michael Rohleder @ 2020-07-06  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey Alexandru,

"Alexandru-Sergiu Marton" <brown121407@posteo.ro> writes:
> I'm having trouble managing the Guix repo with git clients. Both gitg
> and magit choke on it when I tell them to open it. Magit hangs for a
> couple minutes before showing the status view, and every further action
> leads to another freeze. Running git commands from the terminal is fast, as
> expected, no problem there.

I dont know about gitg, but I had this problem with magit also.

What helped was this snippet that you might try to put in your emacs config:

(with-eval-after-load 'magit
  (setq magit-section-initial-visibility-alist ;; https://irreal.org/blog/?p=8877
        '((stashes . hide) (untracked . hide) (unpushed . hide))))

--
unix || die

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Git clients struggle with Guix
@ 2020-07-06 10:05   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-07-06 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe, Alexandru-Sergiu Marton; +Cc: help-guix

Dear,

On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 at 11:52, Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> wrote:

> I've experienced this behavior when there are some edited .po files. I
> usually run "git checkout -- *.po" to get rid of them. You could maybe
> share the output of "git status" when you are having this issue?

I also have aliases for running:

   git restore po/{guix,packages}/??.po
   git restore po/{guix,packages}/??_??.po

and these files are modified when running "make".  Since it is about
translation, it could be nice to disable that with the default and only
have it for special rules.

All the best,
simon

* Git clients struggle with Guix
@ 2020-07-06 12:19 Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton @ 2020-07-06 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm having trouble managing the Guix repo with git clients. Both gitg
and magit choke on it when I tell them to open it. Magit hangs for a
couple minutes before showing the status view, and every further action
leads to another freeze. Running git commands from the terminal is fast, as
expected, no problem there.

I haven't had this problem in the past. For my last few patches I staged
and committed everything from Magit and it worked extremely fast.

Here's some system info:

GNU Guix System with guix on 3d80e618ddbd40342ed7e69f898801e8e3a64eaa
git  : 2.27.0
emacs: 26.3 (this happens both with vanilla and doom, I don't know if
it's relevant but I'll just say it)
magit: 2.90.1-6.7f486d4 (from Guix)

Any tips on how to deal with this? I haven't got a clue about why it
does this stuff.

Cheers,
Sergiu

* Re: Git clients struggle with Guix
@ 2020-07-06 12:56   ` Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton @ 2020-07-06 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: help-guix

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> writes:

> I've experienced this behavior when there are some edited .po
> files. I usually run "git checkout -- *.po" to get rid of them.
> You could maybe share the output of "git status" when you are
> having this issue?

That seems to solve it. I attached the output of "git status"
below anyways.  After I ran "git checkout -- *.po" as you
suggested, magit works as expected, no more freezes. Thanks a lot!

On branch master
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
	modified:   po/guix/cs.po
	modified:   po/guix/da.po
	modified:   po/guix/de.po
	modified:   po/guix/eo.po
	modified:   po/guix/es.po
	modified:   po/guix/fr.po
	modified:   po/guix/hu.po
	modified:   po/guix/pl.po
	modified:   po/guix/pt_BR.po
	modified:   po/guix/sr.po
	modified:   po/guix/sv.po
	modified:   po/guix/ta.po
	modified:   po/guix/vi.po
	modified:   po/guix/zh_CN.po
	modified:   po/packages/da.po
	modified:   po/packages/de.po
	modified:   po/packages/eo.po
	modified:   po/packages/es.po
	modified:   po/packages/fr.po
	modified:   po/packages/hu.po
	modified:   po/packages/pl.po
	modified:   po/packages/pt_BR.po
	modified:   po/packages/sr.po
	modified:   po/packages/vi.po
	modified:   po/packages/zh_CN.po

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
	t-guix-graph-8386/
	t-home-6781/
	t-profile-6433.lock
	t-profile-6781
	t-profile-6781-0-link
	t-profile-6781-1-link
	t-profile-6781-2-link
	t-profile-6781-3-link
	t-profile-6781-4-link
	t-profile-6781.lock
	t-profile-alt-6781
	t-profile-alt-6781-1-link
	t-profile-alt-6781.lock

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

Alexandru-Sergiu Marton

* Re: Git clients struggle with Guix
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-07-06 13:27   ` Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton @ 2020-07-06 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon Jul 6, 2020 at 2:52 PM EEST, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
> I've experienced this behavior when there are some edited .po files. I
> usually run "git checkout -- *.po" to get rid of them. You could maybe
> share the output of "git status" when you are having this issue?

I played a bit with the repo and did what you suggested ("git checkout
-- *.po") and I can't attach the output of "git status" anymore because
it's changed, but it was what you expected: filled with modified .po
files. After running "git checkout -- *.po", magit is fast again. Thanks
a lot!

--
Sergiu