Phil writes: > I'm new the Guix and considering adopting it as an expansion to my > current use of Python virtual environments in development and > production, to include other non-Python packages too. As far as I see it, guix environment is what you get from a virtualenv, plus a good deal more. I start more complex programs nowadays by pulling in their dependencies in a small startup file. The following is my actual command for running IntelliJ with custom libraries and the correct libstdc++: exec -a "$0" guix environment --ad-hoc openjdk@14 openjdk@14:jdk gcc-toolchain@10.2 -- bash -c "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/home/arne/.guix-profile/lib:$(realpath ~/.guix-profile/lib/libsqlite3.so):/gnu/store/qj38f3vi4q1d7z30hkpaxyajv49rwamb-gcc-10.2.0-lib/lib/:."' IDEA_JDK="$(dirname $(dirname $(realpath $(which java))))" exec -a "$0" bash -x idea-IU-193.6911.18/bin/idea.sh' I used the environment for something closer to your example for actual day-work to get a local environment with java 8 and documented that briefly: https://www.draketo.de/software/guix-work.html#org07ebedd # download and unpack tomcat and enter the folder, then call guix environment --ad-hoc icedtea@3.7.0 bin/startup.sh I know that this 3-liner does not look so awesome, but it is crazy how many problems it can solve :-) Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein ohne es zu merken