unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org>
To: Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guix on Novena
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 11:33:22 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2020-09-02, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 10:30:22AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> As for installing the Guix system on arm machines, I am quite lost.
> The installer does not work, or does it? Apart from that, I only know
> the dirty way of installing the Guix package manager and running a
> "guix system init", thus interleaving the new system with Debian
> remainders. Are there better ways?

Most of my arm installs were done by installing the guix binary release
on Debian and then "guix system init" onto another partition, and then
marking the appropriate partition as bootable.

> In this special case of a build machine, we did not want to run the
> build on the (moreover small) sd card, so we bind mounted (why that? a
> normal mount would have been enough, I think) /tmp and /gnu/store from
> an external hard drive. That should be handable in the standard way by
> a file-systems entry, I suppose. Or maybe simply mount the complete /
> from the external hard drive? That should even be compatible with the
> dirty "guix system init" approach, I think.

Yes, I would recommend installing Guix System directly to SATA, since
u-boot can boot from SATA partitions marked bootable (either MBR or GPT
though what GPT calls it I forget), and SATA will perform better, of
course.

live well,
  vagrant