unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: "(" <paren@disroot.org>
To: anguriamelone@libero.it
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Message by a novice
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 08:59:03 +0100	[thread overview]

anguriamelone--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:
> I am a novice in GNU Guix, so far I used Trisquel GN-Linux 9.0.2 (i686), but at the end of April the support for the i686 version has been discontinued. Nevertheless I want to continue using free (as in freedom) software and, getting set to install the iso image, if I don't ask for too muchas an abosulte beginner, I would like to know what are the basic command lines corresponding to those of Trisquel GNU-Linux below:

Welcome!

The problem here is that Guix is not your average package manager, so
not everything will automatically correspond:

> sudo apt update

``guix pull'' (note: *no sudo*) which updates both guix itself and its
package collection (found in the same repo).

> sudo apt upgrade

``guix upgrade'' for user packages, if you're using the ``guix package''
style of package management.  ``sudo guix system reconfigure
/etc/config.scm'' for system packages, which essentially updates and
recreates your entire system from the manifest that is found by default
at ``/etc/config.scm''.

> sudo apt install (package name)

``guix install'' or ``guix package -i'' (the former is an alias for the
latter) for user packages if you're using the ``guix package`` style of
package management, or editing ``/etc/config.scm'' and reconfiguring as
above for system packages.

> sudo apt remove --purge (package name)

There's not really a way to do ``--purge'', but if you do ``guix
remove'' or ``guix package -r'', or reconfigure after removing a package
from ``/etc/config.scm'', and then do ``guix gc'', it'll remove all
unused files (specifically, it removes everything in ``/gnu/store'' that
isn't used in any guix 'profiles').

> sudo apt search (package name)

``guix search''.

> sudo apt autoremove

Removing packages from any profiles will also remove unused
dependencies, but will not delete them from the store.  ``guix gc'' will
remove unused store items.