Hello! On Mon, Nov 06 2017, Marco van Hulten wrote: > I installed GuixSD 0.13.0 with success! Excellent! That's great to hear! > 'guix pull' ends with a compilation error: > >> guix pull: error: build failed: build of >> `/gnu/store/*-guix-latest.drv' failed This isn't enough to tell me what's happened, unfortunately. I'm not sure what the common failure cases are for this, but hopefully someone else will know. > After this I should execute this command. > >> $ guix system reconfigure >> guix system: error: wrong number of arguments for action >> 'reconfigure' The reconfigure command requires you to pass it a configuration file (ie. config.scm). You can see the details in the manual[1]. > Finally, have two more general questions (possibly related) about > Guix. > > Firstly, it often says that I need to use '--fallback'. Is that > because the binary is not available? I'm not sure the exact circumstances for when this is necessary, but it is when there is some sort of a problem with the binary substitutes. The manual[2] describes it as "When substituting a pre-built binary fails, fall back to building packages locally." > Secondly, I noted that with, e.g., 'guix package -i kodi' software gets > compiled. I understood that GNU Guix is capable of both binary and > source packages. Which should I typically expect? Can I choose? This depends on a few factors, but most particularly how up-to-date the build farms are. I'm not sure what you should expect most of the time, but I usually expect that I'll have to build at least something during my installations. You can use the "--no-substitutes" flag for most commands (which you can read about in the manual[2]) if you'd like to build everything locally. Carlo [1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html [2]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Common-Build-Options.html