Vincent Legoll writes: > Hello, > > On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 7:58 PM Jaft via wrote: >> Heh, – well – I tried the large_dir suggestion in that thread and GRUB had >> the same freak-out (in retrospect, not surprising as the E-mails are only from >> 2020; dunno why I thought I'd seen 2017, on first read…). > > There's a "2017" mention in the thread referenced by Petr, maybe that's where > you saw it. > >> using a root partition of about 46G >> About 17 packages in, I started getting a "No space left on device" error; >> looking closer at it, – while I still had ~20% of free disk space available – >> I was fresh out of free inodes. > > If your problem is really being out of free inodes, I don't think the > "large_dir" > option is your solution, because it only increase the number of files per > directory limit, it does not increase the available number of inodes. > > Maybe you should manually create the filesystem with mke2fs and specify > a bigger number of inodes with its "-N" parameter. The small-filesystem option to mkfs.ext4 (-T small) could help, because it gives a higher fraction of inodes. This helps if you have very many small files. See https://linux.die.net/man/5/mke2fs.conf Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein, ohne es zu merken. draketo.de