unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de>
To: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 21:43:25 +0000	[thread overview]

2022-12-05, 09:45, zimon.toutoune@gmail.com:

> Personally, I use “git clone” from a public-inbox instance [1].
>
>     git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/1 \
>               guix-patches/git/1.git
>
> where ’1’ can be also replace by ’0’ for the very old ones.
>
> Then the conversion from Git commit to maildir is done by a small script
> [2], where all the job reads:
>
>     # Extract the message from each commit in the range and store it
>     # in the Maildir for notmuch to consume.
>     $git rev-list $range | while read sha; do
>         # XXXX: fatal: path 'm' does not exist in <commit>
>         # and it can also raise issues with notmuch, as:
>         # Note: Ignoring non-mail file: $maildir/new/$sha
> 	$git show $sha:m > $maildir/new/$sha
>     done
>
> (Maybe better could be done and more robust are around.)
>

> Even, the same can be used for reading Guix mailing lists.  New messages
> are gotten with “git fetch”.
>

> 1: <https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/>
> 2:
> <https://gitlab.com/zimoun/my-conf/-/blob/master/.local/bin/sync-public-inboxes.sh#L60-67>

This is an interesting approach. Thanks for sharing.

If I understand correctly, when using public-inbox, another approach
would be to use IMAP, right? Just like it's described e.g. at
<https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/_/text/mirror/>:

    “IMAP subfolder(s) are available under:
      imaps://;AUTH=ANONYMOUS@news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.patches
      # each subfolder (starting with `0') holds 50K messages at most”

I'll probably try that approach out soon.

I guess, a disadvantage of using public-inbox is that it's not an
official service of the GNU Guix community.