Ludovic Courtès writes: > We could build it with --localstatedir=/var, but would the initial > ‘currency.units’ be picked up? Hmm, I don't see how that would work considering currency.units is located at PREFIX/share/units/currency.units Maybe I got you wrong. What we want to do here is move PREFIX/share/units to a writable location. With ./configure it's possible to move "datarootdir", but that also moves the info and the man page. Thus we need to rectify those 2 locations: > ./configure --datarootdir=/var --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --infodir=/usr/local/share/info Disclaimer: I don't know autoconf very well, I think we should use a special syntax for PREFIX instead of /usr/local/. The result should be /var/units/currency.units (and 2 other files) -- Pierre Neidhardt