unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / Atom feed
* Testing a new font
@ 2020-06-18 12:08 Simen Endsjø
  2020-06-18 12:33 ` Efraim Flashner
  2020-06-18 12:50 ` Pierre Neidhardt
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Simen Endsjø @ 2020-06-18 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix


Hi, I'm new to Guix (still running in VM) trying to add a new 
font, but it
doesn't show up in gnome-tweaks or other places.

I added the font the font to fonts.scm, and ran
$ ./pre-inst-env guix install font-iosevka-aile

I can see the fonts in ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype, but 
it doesn't seem
like they're available anywhere.

Tried running
$ sudo fc-cache -f ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype

but that didn't help either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Testing a new font
  2020-06-18 12:08 Testing a new font Simen Endsjø
@ 2020-06-18 12:33 ` Efraim Flashner
  2020-06-18 12:53   ` Simen Endsjø
  2020-06-18 13:01   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  2020-06-18 12:50 ` Pierre Neidhardt
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-06-18 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simen Endsjø; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 945 bytes --]

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 02:08:49PM +0200, Simen Endsjø wrote:
> 
> Hi, I'm new to Guix (still running in VM) trying to add a new font, but it
> doesn't show up in gnome-tweaks or other places.
> 
> I added the font the font to fonts.scm, and ran
> $ ./pre-inst-env guix install font-iosevka-aile
> 
> I can see the fonts in ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype, but it doesn't
> seem
> like they're available anywhere.
> 
> Tried running
> $ sudo fc-cache -f ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype
> 
> but that didn't help either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You only need to run 'fc-cache -frv', no need for the sudo or the path.
Actually all of 'frv' aren't needed but it's the combination of flags I
use.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Testing a new font
  2020-06-18 12:08 Testing a new font Simen Endsjø
  2020-06-18 12:33 ` Efraim Flashner
@ 2020-06-18 12:50 ` Pierre Neidhardt
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-06-18 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simen Endsjø, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 358 bytes --]

Simen Endsjø <simendsjo@gmail.com> writes:

> Tried running
> $ sudo fc-cache -f ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype

I think the command you want is

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ fc-cache -fv
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 487 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Testing a new font
  2020-06-18 12:33 ` Efraim Flashner
@ 2020-06-18 12:53   ` Simen Endsjø
  2020-06-18 13:01   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Simen Endsjø @ 2020-06-18 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: help-guix


Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 02:08:49PM +0200, Simen Endsjø wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm new to Guix (still running in VM) trying to add a new 
>> font, but it
>> doesn't show up in gnome-tweaks or other places.
>>
>> I added the font the font to fonts.scm, and ran
>> $ ./pre-inst-env guix install font-iosevka-aile
>>
>> I can see the fonts in ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype, 
>> but it doesn't
>> seem
>> like they're available anywhere.
>>
>> Tried running
>> $ sudo fc-cache -f ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype
>>
>> but that didn't help either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> You only need to run 'fc-cache -frv', no need for the sudo or 
> the path.
> Actually all of 'frv' aren't needed but it's the combination of 
> flags I
> use.

Thanks! Works like a charm :) Next up is trying to submit patches.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Testing a new font
  2020-06-18 12:33 ` Efraim Flashner
  2020-06-18 12:53   ` Simen Endsjø
@ 2020-06-18 13:01   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  2020-06-18 13:22     ` Simen Endsjø
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-06-18 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Simen Endsjø, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 666 bytes --]

Efraim Flashner 写道:
> You only need to run 'fc-cache -frv', no need for the sudo or 
> the path.

Pay close attention to its output the first time, since running ’$ 
sudo fc-cache’ earlier might have created root-owned caches that 
foul things up and will need to be manually removed (with ‘$ sudo 
rm’) before running ‘$ fc-cache -rv’ a second time.

> Actually all of 'frv' aren't needed but it's the combination of 
> flags I
> use.

It's remarkably common.  ‘-r’ already implies ‘-f’ and stands for 
‘really f[orce]’, which is my guess as to why so many brains 
remember ‘-rf’ instead.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 227 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Testing a new font
  2020-06-18 13:01   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
@ 2020-06-18 13:22     ` Simen Endsjø
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Simen Endsjø @ 2020-06-18 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix


Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Efraim Flashner 写道:
>> You only need to run 'fc-cache -frv', no need for the sudo or 
>> the path.
>
> Pay close attention to its output the first time, since running 
> ’$ sudo
> fc-cache’ earlier might have created root-owned caches that foul 
> things up and
> will need to be manually removed (with ‘$ sudo rm’) before 
> running ‘$ fc-cache
> -rv’ a second time.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't get any errors or warnings that 
I see, so I
guess everything is fine.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-06-18 12:08 Testing a new font Simen Endsjø
2020-06-18 12:33 ` Efraim Flashner
2020-06-18 12:53   ` Simen Endsjø
2020-06-18 13:01   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
2020-06-18 13:22     ` Simen Endsjø
2020-06-18 12:50 ` Pierre Neidhardt

unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-user/0 guix-user/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-user guix-user/ https://yhetil.org/guix-user \
		help-guix@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-user

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.user
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git