unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Kyle Andrews <kyle.c.andrews@gmail.com>
To: help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Printer configuration
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 22:11:36 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Guix,

Could you help me get my printer working?

I setup my cups service:

(use-modules ...
	     (gnu packages cups)
             ...)
(use-service-modules ... cups ...)
  (service cups-service-type
		   (cups-configuration
		    (extensions
		     (list hplip-minimal cups-filters splix))
		    (server-name host-name)
		    (host-name-lookups #t)
		    (web-interface? #t)))

Then I reconfigured my system and restarted. Now I can access the CUPS
page on localhost:631. However, I could not figure out that interface
for the life of me. Instead, I found out I could install the
`system-config-printer' package which provided a setup utility that
actually made sense, giving me hope of falling into a "pit of
success". It detected my printer, great! Unfortunately, it failed to
print a test page, popping up a warning box with the text:

Printer 'SCX-4200' requires the '/gnu/store/.../cups/filter/rastertoqpdl'
program but it is not currently installed.

I'm not sure what to do now. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on
how to resolve this.

Best Regards,
Kyle