unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Trev <trev@trevdev.ca>
To: GUIX Help <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Guix home mcron help
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 17:57:25 -0700	[thread overview]

Quick update:

I was able to get my mcron working in a way that seems to be the proper
"guix home" way. It just took a lot of re-reading, trial & error.

The downside to my solution is that I had to wrap my entire mailsync
module in a #~(job #$(program-file)) gexp.

Here's an example of my solution: https://pastebin.com/f12mvpUz

I hate to admit that I struggled a lot with the documentation for what a
gexp is, how they're meant to be implemented, and what a (job) procedure
will allow given the context of a guix home service.

For example, I couldn't figure out how to store my module & an image
file in the guix store so that I could thereafter load and run the file
with a command such as `guile -s` as the cron job. Or better yet, load the module with
`use-modules` from the "program-file" and run the exported functions.

Anyway, I am open to feedback/suggestions. Thanks for reading this :)

--

Trev : 0FB7 D06B 4A2A F07E AD5B  1169 183B 6306 8AA1 D206