unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Sergiu Ivanov <sivanov@colimite.fr>
To: Christophe Pisteur <christophe.pisteur@fsfe.org>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Appimage: cannot run binary file
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:12:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Christophe,

Thus quoth  Christophe Pisteur  on Thu Feb 11 2021 at 13:53 (+0100):
> Le jeudi 11 février 2021 à 05:25 +0100, raingloom a écrit :
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:59:17 +0100Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr
>> > wrote:
>> > Instead, I strongly recommend writing your own Guix package (using
>> > inherit) or looking for a less byzantine download format.
>>
>> For a quick test, could try building it with one of the
>> packagetransformers:
>> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Package-Transformation-Options.html
>>
>> Although copying the package definition into a Guile script,
>> modifyingit, and loading it with --file or --expression is not that
>> much harderonce you get the hang of it.
>
> I don't understand all the nuances of this discussion (I'm sorry), but
> it seems to me that the problem is, in the case of the development
> version of freecad, that the sources are not published regularly. The
> sources were last published in 2019 (1), while freecad offers an
> Appimage almost every week. So building something from the sources of
> the development code doesn't add much value to the stable version. I
> must certainly be missing something, so once again sorry.
> Christophe
> (1) https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.19_pre: " Note:
> The development binaries are built regularly (You may need to expand
> the assets tab) . The release date indicates the beginning of the dev
> cycle. The commits indicates how many commits in the dev cycle. The
> source archives (tar.gz and .zip) do not get updated, so they match the
> commit of the tag (34a083b) and are therefore obsolete. You can get the
> latest source here:
> https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/archive/master.zip"

I don't know or use FreeCAD, but it looks like the source code is
updated quite regularly on their GitHub repository:

  https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/

The latest changes seem to date back to several hours.

I'd say these are the sources from which the development binaries are
built (at least this is what is usually done).

My understanding of the sentence

> The source archives (tar.gz and .zip) do not get updated, so they
> match the commit of the tag (34a083b) and are therefore obsolete.

is that the FreeCAD team don't bother archiving the sources by
themselves, given that one can always access the latest version
on GitHub.

-
Sergiu