unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Screen sharing ungoogled-chromium
@ 2022-04-28  5:52 phodina via
From: phodina via @ 2022-04-28  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm attempting to share my screen in the chromium browser (100.0.4896.127-1).

I've enabled the #enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer flag and I also have xdg-desktop-portal install on my Guix System.

However, when I click in Teams on share the whole desktop, window or just a chromium tab the browser crashes and shows in the window the following error.

Aw Snap, something went wrong!

Error code: 4

In the console I see several of these errors to appear:

[29296:29312:0428/074526.629746:ERROR:bus.cc(397)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")

Does somebody use the screen sharing feature?

I'm currently running on X11 (i3-gaps).

----
Petr

* Re: Screen sharing ungoogled-chromium
@ 2022-04-28 17:41 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2022-04-28 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina, help-guix

Hi phodina

this sounds like an upstream bug, or do you think it depends on Guix
packaging?

phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to share my screen in the chromium browser (100.0.4896.127-1).
>
> I've enabled the #enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer flag and I also have xdg-desktop-portal install on my Guix System.
>
> However, when I click in Teams

do you mean Microsoft Teams?

I never used that service, sorry I cannot help here.

[...]

> Does somebody use the screen sharing feature?

I regurarly use the screen sharing feature in Jitsi and it works out of
the box (some previous ungoogled-chromium had issues with video on
Jisti, depending on servers)

HTH! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Screen sharing ungoogled-chromium
@ 2022-05-01  4:24   ` phodina via
From: phodina via @ 2022-05-01  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g, help-guix

Jitsi works in chromium and I'm able to share screen.

But I'm trying to switch to Guix as my work laptop but in order to do that the Teams screen share would have to work.

Anyway it's proprietary garbage so if there isn't anybody who got it working let's just close the discussion.

Petr

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

On Apr 28, 2022, 7:41 PM, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:

> Hi phodina this sounds like an upstream bug, or do you think it depends on Guix packaging? phodina via  writes: > Hi, > > I'm attempting to share my screen in the chromium browser (100.0.4896.127-1). > > I've enabled the #enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer flag and I also have xdg-desktop-portal install on my Guix System. > > However, when I click in Teams do you mean Microsoft Teams? I never used that service, sorry I cannot help here. [...] > Does somebody use the screen sharing feature? I regurarly use the screen sharing feature in Jitsi and it works out of the box (some previous ungoogled-chromium had issues with video on Jisti, depending on servers) HTH! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures

* Re: Screen sharing ungoogled-chromium
@ 2022-05-01 23:43     ` Maxim Cournoyer
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-05-01 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina via

Hello,

phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Jitsi works in chromium and I'm able to share screen.
>
> But I'm trying to switch to Guix as my work laptop but in order to do
> that the Teams screen share would have to work.
>
> Anyway it's proprietary garbage so if there isn't anybody who got it
> working let's just close the discussion.

If it's anything like the Google Meet proprietary SaaS, it may requires
Google-specific WebRTC extensions not yet part of the standard (dubbed
"Hangout Services Extension" and disabled in ungoogled-chromium).  I
remember reading this interesting related discussion about the "Hangout
Services Extension" [0].  I'm not sure it's related, but who knows!

[0]  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=886358

HTH,

Maxim

* Re: Screen sharing ungoogled-chromium
@ 2022-05-02  0:06       ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-05-02  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: phodina via

I do use Guix (with questionable modules added) as my primary computer at home and I tell you only half of the applications are sharable including chromium and emacs.   Many other applications are not.  But then again I use wayland so I can't tell easily which is causing what problems...   -Yasu

@ 2022-05-02  8:45     ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2022-05-02  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1339 bytes --]

On 5/1/22 06:24, phodina via wrote:
> Jitsi works in chromium and I'm able to share screen.
>
> But I'm trying to switch to Guix as my work laptop but in order to do that the Teams screen share would have to work.
>
> Anyway it's proprietary garbage so if there isn't anybody who got it working let's just close the discussion.
>
> Petr
>
> Sent from ProtonMail mobile

I assumed this is a bug in Teams, the workaround is using teams from
flatpak, there screen sharing seems to work

Cheers,

Reza

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Screen sharing ungoogled-chromium
@ 2022-05-02 19:05     ` Alexey Abramov
From: Alexey Abramov @ 2022-05-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina, g, help-guix

Hi,

Would you consider to use a custom flaptak Teams package? Check it out,
screen sharing does work for me.

--

Alexey

On May 1, 2022 06:25:13 phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> Jitsi works in chromium and I'm able to share screen.
>
> But I'm trying to switch to Guix as my work laptop but in order to do that
> the Teams screen share would have to work.
>
> Anyway it's proprietary garbage so if there isn't anybody who got it
> working let's just close the discussion.
>
> Petr
>
> Sent from ProtonMail mobile

                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-05-04 13:53     ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2022-05-04 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: g, help-guix

phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Jitsi works in chromium and I'm able to share screen.
>
> But I'm trying to switch to Guix as my work laptop but in order to do that the Teams screen share would have to work.
>
> Anyway it's proprietary garbage so if there isn't anybody who got it working let's just close the discussion.

As just one more data point, I use Guix as my work laptop and connect to
my video conferencing meetings through ungoogled-chromium. In my
experience, I can share my screen successfully in Jitsi and Zoom
meetings only. I can attend Google Meet meetings and see other people's
screens but cannot share my own. Microsoft Teams just crashes and burns
when I try to connect.

Fortunately (?) my company mostly uses Zoom for scheduled meetings, and
I can use Jitsi for my personal meetings, so this works out fine for me
at this time.

Best of luck,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.