Hi kiasoc5, kiasoc5@disroot.org writes: [...] >> I never tried this, but beware that the UID and GID of user(s) in >> your new Guix System sould be the very same of the arch system to be >> able to access homes, /including/ Guix profiles of users (stored in >> /home/$USER...) > > Yes, I believe most Linuxes set the first created user to a UID and > GID of 1000, so hopefully this is not an issue. Automatic UID and GID assignemt works that way /but/ when migrating/sharing an OS that's not deterministic and I strongly suggest you to use the "source system" (arch in your case) UID and GID in your target system (Guix System in your case) >> Important: if you want to be able to share the store between the two >> systems you should also share the /status/ of Guix, stored in >> LOCALSTATEDIR/guix/ (usually /var/guix), since it contains a lot of >> useful data and AFAIU it must be kept in sync between the foreign distro >> and the Guix System [1]. This is the most critical part about being >> able to share Guix between two different host operating systems. > > Should I make /var/guix a subvolume as well? Oh yes, I forgot to mention this! Both /gnu/store and /var/guix must be shared so you need a dedicated block device: partition or LVM/btrfs (sub)volume. An alternative could be to bind mount /gnu/store and /var/guix on the "target system" [1] (Guix System in your case)... but IMHO the dedicated block device is better for dual (multiple) boot systems like in your case > ALso the only directory in /gnu is /gnu/store right? So I could just > have an @gnu subvolume mounted on /gnu instead of a @gnu-store > subvolume mounted on /gnu/store? AFAIK /gnu is still not used by any other software to store files, but it could be in the future... who knows? For this reason I'd share only /gnu/store for Guix and nothing more, eventually sharing other /gnu/folders in the future, IF needed. >> Last but not least, once you have installed Guix System you have to >> decide what manages your GRUB configuraton: Guix System or arch, you >> cannot share the grub config between the two; Guix System have a >> stateless GRUB config (and it' good and fair) so I suggest you to use it >> for GRUB configuration, but if you decide to keep using arch this is a >> good tip: https://yhetil.org/guix/20181031125428.GA814@doom/ > > Thanks for the tip. What if I install another bootloader on Arch like > systemd boot? Then there will not be a bootloader conflict and I can > select one with efibootmgr. Yes of course you can always select your preferred boot mamager with efibootmgr, but I'm lazy and I like to have GRUB manage all my OSs :-) > May 28, 2022, 10:51 AM, "Giovanni Biscuolo" wrote: [...] >> As a side note, you could also consider to switch to Guix System and >> keep your foreign distro running as an LXC container sharing store and >> state with the host, but you have to be familiar with LXC tooling [1] >> AND know how to "convert" a "physical" machine to an LXC container [2], >> giving the guests acces to the host GPU [3] for graphical applications >> or using remote dektop applications like SPICE or VNC... it's a little >> bit complex but pure fun! > > Would an LXC approach require two graphics cards? I only have an > integrated GPU. No, you can share your GPU with guests or connect to guests using remote desktop, as mentioned above ;-) Happy hacking! Gio' [1] I'm using this technique in my LXC containers, excerpt from one config: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- lxc.mount.entry=/gnu/store gnu/store none ro,bind 0 0 lxc.mount.entry=/var/guix var/guix none bind 0 0 --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures