unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to reinstall the bootloader without guix system reconfigure?
@ 2022-06-29 18:31 Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-06-29 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,

Today, I shrank my Losedows (Windows) partition by 100 GB.  Then I tried
to boot Guix, but found that GRUB is broken and the GRUB rescue prompt
appeared.  I thought that it's because of the 100 GB empty space in my
hard disk.  Fortunately, I have Ubuntu (yet another nonfree
distribution) installed and it didn't broke, so used that to add that
100 GB to my Guix partition.  But I found that GRUB is still broken.
Then I appended "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" of Guix to the same file of Ubuntu
and managed to boot into Guix and to write this mail you're reading now.

Now, if I'm correct, to fix the problem, I think the bootloader needs to
be reinstalled.  To do that, I have to run "guix system reconfigure".
But that will download too many thing, much more than it actually needs.
I know that "guix system delete-generations" also reinstalls bootloader
while not downloading too many things, however I don't have any previous
system generation, so I can't use that trick to reinstall the GRUB.

Is there any way to reinstall bootloader without the costly "guix system
reconfigure"?

Another non-important question:  Why did Guix's GRUB broke while
Ubuntu's GRUB survived?

Thanks in advance.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5