On 2021-03-31, Bone Baboon wrote: > Vagrant Cascadian writes: > >> On 2021-03-29, Bone Baboon wrote: >>> When I run `dbus-run-session sway` on virtual terminal 1 sway does not >>> start and I get this output: ... >> vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv >>> [backend/backend.c:303] Failed to open any DRM device >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >> I think this is your fundamental problem. There's no DRM device >> available (at least to your user). Are there devices in /dev/dri/, and >> are they writeable by your user? > > What is the significance of the /dev/dri/ devices? > Is /dev/dri/ related to the GPU of a computer? > If there are no /dev/dri devices does that mean that the graphics card > is not compatible with Linux-libre or Guix and that a Wayland window > manager is not going to work? Yes, you need /dev/dri for graphics acceleration to work, and wayland needs at least basic graphics acceleration, as I understand it. So missing/broken graphics drivers is the issue on two of your machines. > I am trying to get Sway working on three computers. > > Computer 0: > No /dev/dri/ directory. > The sticker on the computer says AMD Radeon Vega Graphics. > neofetch says the GPU is AMD ATI 05:00.0 Picasso. > > Computer 1: > No /dev/dri/ directory. > neofetch says the GPU is NVIDEA GeForce FX 5200. Both NVIDIA and AMD have a history of not always having free drivers/firmware/etc for their graphics hardware. > Computer 2: > Has a /dev/dri/ directory with devices that are writable by my user. > noefetch says the GPU is Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset. And in my experience Intel chips usually work without problems... > I have not got Sway working on computer 0 or 1. > > On computer 2 I am able to start Sway with `sway` on virtual terminal > 1. That's consistent with my assertion, then, at least. :) So it sounds like you have sway configured correctly, but some of your hardware may be incompatible with linux-libre. live well, vagrant