Chris Marusich writes: > Hi Pierre, > > Pierre Neidhardt writes: > >> linux-libre turns off the ability to load non-free firmware. Why is >> it so? > > I did a little bit of searching on the Internet, and it seems to me like > the reason why Linux-libre turns off the ability to load non-free > firmware is because the project does not want to induce you to use > non-free software. This is not true. After all, you may wish to load a firmware that you have developed yourself, but that is not possible either. The problem is a limitation of the kernel interface and/or the deblobbing script: From an interview with Alexandre Oliva[0]: "Indeed, I became aware that some users have got the idea that blocking the loading of blobs is a feature. It's not; it's just a bug that's quite difficult to fix. The decision on whether or not to use a piece of software, be it Free or not, should belong to the users, and it's not our intent to make that difficult." [0] https://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/blogs/lxo/2013-11-08-linux-libre-interview-by-bruce-byfield.en.html