unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Spams in the help-guix list ?
@ 2020-10-19  8:22 Hubert Lombard
From: Hubert Lombard @ 2020-10-19  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello guix !

This morning, an email seeming to be a spam caught my attention:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-10/msg00062.html

By opening it claws-mail, I can see in the header :

From: jbranso@dismail.de
To: mcconnaughey@jeffnet.org, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to contribute software?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 00:33:21 +0000
Sender: "Help-Guix" <help-guix-bounces+contact=hubert-lombard.website@gnu.org>

Renting a location at OVH for my website, I often receive spam in my email client.

It looks like spam to me, as I've not send it.

Sender: "Help-Guix"
<help-guix-bounces+contact=hubert-lombard.website@gnu.org>

I realize that if this situation happens again, it could become disruptive in the long run, both for the community and for me.

Do you have any advice for me? That I change my email address for this help-guix list?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Regards,

Hubert

* Re: Spams in the help-guix list ?
@ 2020-10-19  8:51 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-19  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hubert Lombard; +Cc: help-guix

Hey Hubert!

I don't believe that email was spam.  I think it was an actual email.
I recently made a video talking about my recommendation for getting
starting using mailing lists.  I hope this helps you:

https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/cdb511bb-d363-4896-a439-9b87ada1af8c

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Spams in the help-guix list ?
@ 2020-10-19  8:53 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-10-19  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hubert Lombard; +Cc: help-guix

Hubert,

Thanks for your report!

On 2020-10-19 10:22, Hubert Lombard wrote:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-10/msg00062.html

It didn't look like spam to me.  Disclaimer: I approved that message and
one or two of the replies.  What makes you suspicious?

The two replies at the link above also look legitimate.  I don't see any
messages claiming to be from Hubert Lombard.

> By opening it claws-mail, I can see in the header :
>
> From: jbranso@dismail.de
> To: mcconnaughey@jeffnet.org, help-guix@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: how to contribute software?
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 00:33:21 +0000
> Sender: "Help-Guix"
> <help-guix-bounces+contact=hubert-lombard.website@gnu.org>
>
> Renting a location at OVH for my website, I often receive spam in my
> email client.
>
> It looks like spam to me, as I've not send it.

> Sender: "Help-Guix"
> <help-guix-bounces+contact=hubert-lombard.website@gnu.org>
>
> I realize that if this situation happens again, it could become
> disruptive in the long run, both for the community and for me.
>
> Do you have any advice for me? That I change my email address for this
> help-guix list?

The above headers all look normal & correct to me, so based on them I
can only advise you do nothing.

'From: ...@dismail.de' means the message was sent by Joshua.
'Sender: ...@gnu.org' means the list delivered it to you.

If there are any suspicious headers they are not included above.  You
can forward the complete message to me and/or guix-maintainers@gnu.org
and I'd be happy to inspect them!

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: Spams in the help-guix list ?
@ 2020-10-19 14:45   ` Hubert Lombard
From: Hubert Lombard @ 2020-10-19 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Le Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:53:20 +0200,
Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> a écrit :

> Hubert,
>
> Thanks for your report!
>
> On 2020-10-19 10:22, Hubert Lombard wrote:
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-10/msg00062.html
>
> It didn't look like spam to me.  Disclaimer: I approved that message
> and one or two of the replies.  What makes you suspicious?
>
> The two replies at the link above also look legitimate.  I don't see
> any messages claiming to be from Hubert Lombard.
>
> > By opening it claws-mail, I can see in the header :
> >
> > From: jbranso@dismail.de
> > To: mcconnaughey@jeffnet.org, help-guix@gnu.org
> > Subject: Re: how to contribute software?
> > Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 00:33:21 +0000
> > Sender: "Help-Guix"
> > <help-guix-bounces+contact=hubert-lombard.website@gnu.org>
> >
> > Renting a location at OVH for my website, I often receive spam in my
> > email client.
> >
> > It looks like spam to me, as I've not send it.

> > Sender: "Help-Guix"
> > <help-guix-bounces+contact=hubert-lombard.website@gnu.org>
> >
> > I realize that if this situation happens again, it could become
> > disruptive in the long run, both for the community and for me.
> >
> > Do you have any advice for me? That I change my email address for
> > this help-guix list?
>
> The above headers all look normal & correct to me, so based on them I
> can only advise you do nothing.
>
> 'From: ...@dismail.de' means the message was sent by Joshua.
> 'Sender: ...@gnu.org' means the list delivered it to you.
>
> If there are any suspicious headers they are not included above.  You
> can forward the complete message to me and/or
> guix-maintainers@gnu.org and I'd be happy to inspect them!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R
>
> Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for your answer! I must not have been wide awake and my practice of the English language remains incomplete...
Indeed the header doesn't look suspicious (I quoted it completely).

Sorry for this noise...

Good hacking !

--

@ 2020-10-19 14:48   ` Hubert Lombard
From: Hubert Lombard @ 2020-10-19 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Le Mon, 19 Oct 2020 04:51:47 -0400,
Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> a écrit :

> Hey Hubert!
>
> I don't believe that email was spam.  I think it was an actual email.
> I recently made a video talking about my recommendation for getting
> starting using mailing lists.  I hope this helps you:
>
> https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/cdb511bb-d363-4896-a439-9b87ada1af8c
>
> --
> Joshua Branson
> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
> https://gnucode.me
> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help enough other
> people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

Joshua : You were right, it's definetly not a spam. I'm going to watch
the video with profit, thank you !

Kind regards,

@ 2020-10-20  9:55 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-10-20  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Hubert Lombard; +Cc: help-guix

Just out of curiosity, how does guix limit spam?  I personally have never seen spam in the list.  Are most emails manually approved?  Can I help in some regard?

Thanks,

Joshua

* Re: Spams in the help-guix list ?
@ 2020-10-20 10:53   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-10-20 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: Hubert Lombard, help-guix

jbranso@dismail.de 写道:
> I personally have never seen spam in the list.

All 4 Guix lists get several spams a day.  Few of them targeted;
most of them promising to enlarge your bitcoin.

A minute fraction of those have made it through over the years.
I'm very happy to hear they managed to pass unnoticed for you :-)

> Are most emails manually approved?

We've been lucky & have been spared any competent adversaries so
far, but I don't think we should publically discuss our anti-spam
measures.

> Can I help in some regard?

I don't think delegation is tenable with our current system.
Thank you very much for the offer.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Spams in the help-guix list ?
@ 2020-10-20 12:10   ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-10-20 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hubert Lombard; +Cc: help-guix

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> Hey Hubert!
>
> I don't believe that email was spam.  I think it was an actual email.
> I recently made a video talking about my recommendation for getting
> starting using mailing lists.  I hope this helps you:
>
> https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/cdb511bb-d363-4896-a439-9b87ada1af8c

I've watched the video... and IMHO you don't need
2 email addresses; it becomes too much at one
point. What I normally do is to subscribe to
mailing lists through gwene(inside GNUs); and when
someone does a wide reply to my responses, I'll
get a ping in my inbox. Really convenient :)

Also, could you share your GNUs config? I like
how you've set up threading ;)

> --
> Joshua Branson
> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
> https://gnucode.me
> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

--
Bonface M. K. <https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com>
Chief Emacs Bazu / Rieng ya software sare

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Spams in the help-guix list ?
@ 2020-10-21 18:13     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-21 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bonface M. K.; +Cc: Hubert Lombard, help-guix

That's true!  Using gwene is super awesome!  I've got it set up for a
few mailing lists.

https://notabug.org/jbranso/emacs.d/src/master/lisp/init-gnus.org

--

@ 2020-10-21 18:32       ` Bonface M. K.